HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

CVT Torque problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 09:22 PM
Enthusiast
Default CVT Torque problem

I bought a used 2004 HCH about 12 months ago. Took it up the nearby mountain for the first time last week. The result was having it at the base of an 18% grade that's about 0.1 to 0.2 miles long - from a standing start.

First time up, the engine lugged and the car came to a stop without reaching the top. Brakes, shift to neutral, gun the engine, slip it into gear, and the car starts to roll backwards down the hill.

Second attempt, now in the lowest "gear" of the CVT transmission. Got further up, but same effect.

Third attempt, I got the longest running start I could, floored it in low gear, and survived to the flat section at the top of the hill. Barely. It was notably slowing from about 1/2 way up.

What would cause a loss of torque in the CVT for this car? Or is this a normal limit on the amount of torque this engine can deliver?

CW

Old 08-05-2017, 11:54 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: CVT Torque problem

18% is pretty huge, so it may be a limiting factor, BUT...

Start with the basics.

Do you have the correct amount of fluid?
Have you changed the fluid within the last 15 thousand miles.

If the answer to either is "no", change fluid with Honda CVT fluid.

If you don't know the intimate history of the CVT (probably don't at 12 months ownership), consider doing a flush consisting of 3X CVT fluid changes on 3 consecutive weekends as each change only replaces a little over 50% of the fluid. Also, if you have non-HONDA fluid in there, it needs to come out with a flush.

Slippage is either in the start clutch or the belt itself.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 08-06-2017, 10:55 AM
Enthusiast

I will order CVT fluid and start flushing it... The stick shows the level to be fine - or a little too high. Fluid on the stick is quite clean, but I understand that's not a very solid indicator.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I'm very worried that the limit is "in the belt." The car has remarkably low miles, for as old as it is. Emissions test mileage reports over the years support the idea I bought it with about 50,000 total miles - or the seller hacked the state website. It now has a new battery pack, along with replacing the stereo.

CW

Old 08-06-2017, 11:04 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Given that it's low mileage, it's entirely possible that it has the original fluid in it, which is no longer in use (ATF-Z1?) and was replaced by the CVT fluid as it was problematic.

You may want to check with a local dealership. My local dealership is cheaper than any online source I've found when you compare local tax and shipping charges.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

This might be your CVT starting to fail also... the CVT's in these cars are a known weak point. Is there any noise when it starts losing steam?

Old 09-24-2017, 02:40 PM
Enthusiast

No extra noises at all. I have bought fluid, but haven't actually done the exchange. So far, my approach has been to avoid the setting. Before I try that again, I want to have a backup plan (4WD truck & tow rope) in place.

If I exchange fluid and note much better punchy acceleration around town, then I'll be tempted to try it.

Charlie