HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

DIY Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 10:18 AM
Enthusiast
Default DIY Maintenance

Rather than shell out to the dealer, I'm a DIY kind of guy. Just bought my first HCH-I, an 04 with the manual transmission and 114k miles. I'm planning on doing my standard round of maintenance like I do with all cars and had a few questions for ya. I have done some searches but I'll just list what I'm going to do and what I need help with, if anyone has any "hey, don't do this" or "this really sucks, don't bother" I'd appreciate the advice.

1. Spark plugs. I think from what I've read the factory ones are pretty spendy. Was thinking of just getting Densos. This OK? What's the gap on them? Rockauto shows .44 or .40...

2. Manual transmission fluid. I usually just change it since it's not terribly difficult (or at least it isn't on other cars) and not too expensive. I see a lot of talk about what fluid to use for the CVT, but what about the 5-sp? What's the recommended fluid and quantity?

3. First oil change I'm going to have done at the dealer, they have a new customer special for $6, can't argue. But assuming the price goes up exponentially after that, OW-20 is recommended, should I go synthetic?

4. I'm going to do the valve adjustments since I don't have records of it being done. Found a good writeup. Should I replace the valve cover gasket while I'm at it? I usually do, wondered if anyone else does.

5. K&N Air filter worth it?

6. Anything else I should think about or be aware of? I'm trying to learn this new car and see what it's tricks are. Thanks!

Old 04-18-2012, 07:28 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: DIY Maintenance

o-20 is all synthetic! Sounds like your are on the correct coarse. Does the HCH1 have eight plugs? You may want to take the Exhaust circulation valve off and clean with carb. cleaner. These tend to plug -up. I would not go with K&N. Buy a frame at Wal-Mart. If the valves are not noisy then leave them alone. H

Old 04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Yes, HCH-I has 8 plugs. I may clean the EGR as well. Since there seems to be a lack of DIY's here, I think I'm going to try and put a few together as I do my maintenance.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

You may want to do the Cabin Air Filter as well. It's not critical (obviously) but as long as you are cleaning everything up, it couldn't hurt. The dealer charges $100 so not a lot of people change it. you can get the filter online for $12-$15 and it takes less than 2 minutes to change.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

Already done.