HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Electrical power distribution problem... maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 09:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Electrical power distribution problem... maybe?

I bought a 2003 HCH-1 2 months ago with 130k. Previous owner babied it, and had it checked up at the dealer with all the paper work like twice a year. Super happy with the purchase.

The first thing I did when I got it was put a 300w Amp and sub-woofer routed straight off the under-hood battery. The stock radio had no remote line, so I just tied off to the ignition power line and put an in-line switch.

Then a month ago I bought one of those PIE-HON-AUX auxiliary input adapter for the stock radio. Thing worked like a charm for a week or so. Then it started cutting in and out, not recognizing the device. I noticed it would cut out when I braked, or when it went into Auto-Stop. This gradually got worse until the device ceased to work. After replacing the device, I still had the same issue.

Now I'm beginning to notice my radio sounding crappy. At first I thought I blew a speaker. After inspecting all the speakers and fiddling around with the radio, I found it's a lack of power going to the radio. I have the amp off now and the issue remains. It sounds like a set of battery powered speakers for an iPod, when the batteries start to die. I replaced the under-hood battery the still have the issue. And now the radio just cuts out when the music bumps a bit or louder noises occur. This happens while running and not. This also occurs more frequently when the IMA battery is at an indicated half charge, and at points when lower. I also have no clue how the IMA and under-hood battery are related to each other and if the radio runs off of one, both, or alternate depending on various system readings.

Could this be bad cells in the IMA battery, or a bad stator? Or is there some sort of medium, like a transformer unit that regulates the power distribution to the radio that's just going bad? I doubt it's the radio, unless it's just super sensitive to minute adjustments in power... I fear it's a symptom of something worse to come.

Also I haven't noticed any difference in the performance of the car.

Any thoughts fellas? I'm stumped, and so in the 800 Honda service line. And I'd rather not pay a dealership 120 bucks to diagnose it if it just turns out to be something I can fix for less than that.

Last edited by JoeVsFox; 05-28-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Electrical power distribution problem... maybe?

It could be the converter in the IMA system. Borrow a scan gauge and see if the IMA is putting out 13.8 V's when the engine is running. Or you could check with a volt meter with the engine is running. H

Old 05-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Enthusiast

Alright, sure. But from what contacts would I check from with a volt meter?

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Set the multi meter to 12v then put the positive [red]probe to the positive 12v post and the black probe to the negative post . You will get a 12.+ volts with engine stopped. Start the car and see if you getting 13.7v plus. Hope this helps. You could take your car to Pet-Boys and they will check it for you? H

Old 05-30-2012, 09:32 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the help. I'll give it a shot later today and post my results.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM
Enthusiast

Okay. Sorry for such a late response. But I checked the terminals and it wasn't consistent. So I've been to 3 dealerships now and said f it. They were all useless. I bought the service manual for 03-05 HCH and learned how to reset the MCM computer and recalibrate the module the reads battery level. Everything works fine now. It was the first troubleshooting thing to do in the book. These guys didn't even crack the manual open I assume.

Anyhow. If anyone wants any info from the factory service manual, feel free to pm me. I'll be happy to forward anything from this book. Its extremely detailed.