HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Factory IMA warranty question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2011, 10:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Factory IMA warranty question

Hi folks

I just purchased a 2003 HCH last weekend after looking for several weeks for one. I wanted something that was good on gas for my daily commute, but that also met the requirements for single passenger HOV (I live in VA and commute to DC).

Anyway, picked one up last weekend for $7k after test driving about 10 miles...checked the codes and the carfax....all clean. Drove 3 miles (literally) down the road on the way home and got a check engine and IMA light. Checked the codes again and had a P1600 and P1449. Took it back to the little dealer where I had just bought it and they sent it over to Honda to look at. As expected, Honda indicated that it is a bad IMA battery.

After negotiating with the seller, I got the price down to $5600. I figure I can get a refurb'ed battery and toss it in....not that big a deal to do.

However, here's the twist. I discovered that Honda had extended all warranties 5% due to an Odometer issue. This made my factory warranty good until 84000. The car as it sits right now, has 84,612. BTW, it is not a PZEV. I am in VA and it was originally sold in VA.

My question to you fine folks, any chance of getting Honda to cover it, considering it is only 600 miles out of warranty. I mean I could have been on a trip when it crapped out for that matter.

It's not a huge deal, I figure I can get a refurb for $1000 and installing won't be a big deal, however if I can get Honda to cover it, all the better.

Any feedback? TIA

Matthew

Last edited by pdre37a; 02-11-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Added info
Old 02-11-2011, 01:13 PM
Veteran Mechanic
Default Re: Factory IMA warranty question

I'd hope honda would at least partially cover the repairs, something they are good at if you contact the right person in their chain of command.