HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 06:30 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Originally Posted by lifespeed
I had the IMA light come on at 92K miles. Honda replaced the battery free of charge. Now it is creaking and banging when the car rocks side to side. Perhaps they didn't bolt it in correctly? I have a MT car, 2003, and use the AC whenever it is over 80 degrees outside which is pretty often.

Anyway, it is back at the dealer today.
Please tell me you were under warranty, my battery went out at 92k and they told me it would be $2400 to replace. That is usually would be $3200.

Old 10-12-2009, 06:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Hi Jeff:
So the light is back! Must have one week cell? Try another reset and you should be good for awhile! How are you making out with the warranty department of Honda? Hal

Old 10-12-2009, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Harold
Hi Jeff:
So the light is back! Must have one week cell? Try another reset and you should be good for awhile! How are you making out with the warranty department of Honda? Hal
Hey Harold,

No the light it still off, it's been off for 5,000 miles now. I hope it stays off for years and years, but others on here have told me it's a matter of time. The warranty department and honda gave me a big middle finger about replacing my battery. I'm on my own, expect for this message board of course.

Old 10-13-2009, 08:10 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Good news Jeff,
That figures re. warranty. If it only requires a reset now and then , no big deal! Hal

Old 10-28-2009, 01:04 PM
Enthusiast

I have a 2004 HCH with 121,000 miles. IMA and check engine light are on. Emissions test just failed due to P1600 and P1433 codes. From reading these and other posts so far I understand that this could be:
1) fuse #9
2) bad battery sticks and or cables
3) bad computer
4) a reset is required

Are there any other known causes and how do I go about doing the reset just to try? Also, there was an IMA dealer software update available for my car that I haven't had done yet. Has this fixed anyone's problems?

Old 10-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Think green.

Not sure if it has anything to do with your particular error codes, but in 2007 there was a software update 07-036. I received a service bulletin in the mail. It has something to do with the possibility of the check engine light coming on due to an over-sensitive NOx sensor.
It might be related to your emissions test failing.

Old 11-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Enthusiast

My battery is nearing the end of its life. The car drives fine but the calibration is off. The dealer checked it out and said it was a code 1447, battery module deterioration, and recommended a new battery...they quoted me $3096, including labor.

Questions:

1. Is this a fair price or should I shop around and try to talk them down?

2. I've seen the hybrid battery repair website...has anyone used these guys? What they're saying sounds plausible but if it's going to cost me $1000 and a trip to NYC, I want some reassurance that it works and that whatever lifetime I'm going to get out of the battery is a reasonable price for my money.

3. The price of replacement batteries has been falling...and I don't drive my car very often at all, and when I do it's mostly highway driving and driving in light hills. For now the car is perfectly drivable, although the dealer told me it would not pass inspection next time around (thankfully, I just passed inspection a couple months ago). Is it worth waiting this out to see if the price drops--or even if it doesn't, to get more life out of the existing battery before it finally dies?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Old 01-02-2010, 06:06 PM
Enthusiast

Re: IMA Battery, isn't this theft? Just had a local Honda dealer replace IMA battery on 2003 HCH. It posted codes 1449 and 1600 at 86,000, which the dealer said was 2,000 miles out of warranty.

When I said I wanted to take home the original pack that was in the car they said I could not, it had to be sent off to the remanufacturer where the replacement battery came from.

I said the original battery belonged to me when I dropped the car of 3 hours earlier, yes?
His response was I might be able to take with me it if I paid them for
$2 or 3k for it. Has anyone else had this experience?

Old 01-02-2010, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Kathleen Westglen
Re: IMA Battery, isn't this theft? Just had a local Honda dealer replace IMA battery on 2003 HCH. It posted codes 1449 and 1600 at 86,000, which the dealer said was 2,000 miles out of warranty.

When I said I wanted to take home the original pack that was in the car they said I could not, it had to be sent off to the remanufacturer where the replacement battery came from.

I said the original battery belonged to me when I dropped the car of 3 hours earlier, yes?
I'm confused, you're out of warranty but the dealer replaced the battery for free? You want the old battery, why? My IMA light came on at 92k, went off a few hundred miles later, and I'm now at 101k and no light to be seen.

Last edited by bigbearballs; 01-02-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2010, 09:29 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kathleen Westglen

As I said in the other thread, American Honda (or CALHAC) has a core charge on the battery of $3000. Since they replaced it under warranty, the battery belongs to them. Even if you had paid for it, the warranty transfers the ownership of the old parts to them when they replace them.

This even works if you buy it. Let's use a starter as an example. Let's suppose that you were paying to have a starter put in. Let's say the starter was $200 with a $100 core charge. This means that you pay $300 and get back $100 if you let them take the old one. Do you have to let them take it? No because you are paying for it. You can choose to pay $300 for the starter. Now let's say that it dies two months later and the shop replaces it under warranty. Do you get to keep it? No. If you want to keep it, you'd have to buy it (or rather buy the replacement) and let the shop only cover the labor under warranty.

This is what the dealer offered you when they said $3000. That is what they will have to pay Honda if they don't return the battery, so they don't mind you paying it if you really want to.

Quick Reply: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands