HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Originally Posted by Kathleen Westglen
Re: IMA Battery, isn't this theft? Just had a local Honda dealer replace IMA battery on 2003 HCH. It posted codes 1449 and 1600 at 86,000, which the dealer said was 2,000 miles out of warranty.
Oh, I just realized that you paid for the battery. Disregard what I said about the warranty and just note the core charge part.

Ouch. The P1449 error probably only means that one or two cells are bad. It would have been a cheap repair.

Old 03-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'm back, now at 103k and the ima light is on. I just disconnected the front battery and the light is off. My questions, and I'm sure they've been answered before. How long can I do this? I don't want to be driving on the highway and lose control of my car because my hybrid battery has had enough. Can I just do this forever? I don't want to buy a new battery and lose all of my gas savings.

Old 03-07-2010, 03:18 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,

We also had our IMA replaced, luckily under warranty at 65-K or so. Perhaps we need to hear from HCH owners who haven't had to replace their batteries--how many miles have you gotten on your battery?

Carol

Old 03-07-2010, 10:04 PM
Think green.

Originally Posted by Carol
Perhaps we need to hear from HCH owners who haven't had to replace their batteries--how many miles have you gotten on your battery?
I guess I would be in that group. My IMA battery seems to be working fine on my '04, but it's only got about 43,000 miles on it so far.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:11 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
I guess I would be in that group. My IMA battery seems to be working fine on my '04, but it's only got about 43,000 miles on it so far.
Did you get your HCH used or have you owned it for the full 43K. As you probably know, I'm in your club too with low mileage on a 2003. Crossing my fingers too.

Old 03-09-2010, 11:34 AM
Think green.

I bought it used when it was 3 years old and it had 27,000 miles on it.
So far, so good. (my data logs are in the link below)

Last edited by Gairwyn; 03-09-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 03-09-2010, 03:32 PM
Enthusiast

I have an 03 HCH. The IMA light came on back in dec 09, and I happened to change the plugs/oil and the light turned off. That was at around 114k, the IMA light returned at 116K. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it for free under the 150k warranty. I just got it back yesterday and the light has not returned.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:18 AM
Witch w/ sense of humor

Originally Posted by mikeim72
I have an 03 HCH. The IMA light came on back in dec 09, and I happened to change the plugs/oil and the light turned off. That was at around 114k, the IMA light returned at 116K. Took it to the dealer and they replaced it for free under the 150k warranty. I just got it back yesterday and the light has not returned.
My former HCH went to just about 144k before the IMA light turned on. I drove it for another 1000 miles like that with no noticeable difference in how the car functioned -- other than the decrease in fuel economy. It was getting about 38 MPG out of the last few tanks of gas, which pretty much told me that the HCH was working more like a conventional Civic and not much like a hybrid. The care did remain driveable, however.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

I'm assuming you live in suburban Baltimore then? 38-40 mpg isn't bad at all if you live in the city like I do. Getting on the highways will increase my mileage by about 10 mpg.

Old 03-22-2010, 04:50 PM
Enthusiast

I'm SO glad I found this forum! Glad to know I'm not the only one this happened to. So, here is my story, I have a 2004 automatic civic hybrid and the IMA and little engine light (something Malfunction...)just came on Saturday on my drive to my dads. I'm at about 150k miles. then when I started the card the next morning to drive home(San Francisco) the IMA light was off -just the malfunction light. Took it to the dealer and they did a diagnostic and told me it was the IMA battery and I needed new one at$3,500 (includes labor). UGH!! can't afford that!
heard about the NY guy who sells them for less but still to have it replaced by this other car shop here (only do hybrids) it will cost me $2,300. Still way out of my range. I took the car back and my boyfriend drove it to work, hour up north and he said the light came off and the charge bars are almost full now. What the.....?
so, am I good to go with no repair and Honda dealer here is BSing me to get $$$ ?

Quick Reply: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands