HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 08:24 AM
rkr
Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

I doubt they are BSing you. When mine went they said it was OK to drive while waiting for the new battery (unlike Priuses). You might be able to just drive it with a bad battery but at some point the battery won't work as well. I remember it was really odd. It would totally drain away within seconds while driving downhill - like after driving for miles and miles down a really long mountain where normally it would be completely charged up. And in seconds the battery would be gone. Then it would jump up again and down. Like it didn't really know how much charge there was or something.

My gas mileage went down quite a bit during that time, but it was still better than most cars out there (high 30s or low 40s). I would not want to keep my car without a battery for very long. The roads here have very long and steep grades and my car with the battery has a hard enough time as it is. However if you are mostly doing short city driving maybe it's not a big deal. But SF is hilly, it might be hard after a while if the battery is not helping out.

The price for the battery replacement seems really good to me. When they replaced mine three years ago here in the boondocks of New Mexico, they said it would have been $7000 (incl. labor) to replace it if it hadn't been under warranty.

Old 03-23-2010, 10:10 AM
Enthusiast

Well, last night and this morning there are no lights and running/charging like normal. Will keep fingers crossed but i'm not paying for any new battery right now. will keep my eyes on how it works on hills too.

Old 03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
Enthusiast

rkr and lunab, I would love to see photos of your 2003 and 2004 HCHs. Please share?

Old 03-27-2010, 05:37 PM
rkr
Enthusiast

I don't recommend trying this at home. Next summer we will find another vehicle to haul the canoe around. We had to take two dents out of the roof underneath where the rack sat after we did this. It's an 03 HCH btw with over 130K now. Hopefully it will go another 130!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rarichard/3855127554/

Old 03-27-2010, 06:17 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing, Rachel! Beautiful photo. Trying to breathe a little positivity into the HCH-I discussion forum. Saw the photo where a co-worker backed into the side as well. You've got a tough Civic!

I've only got about 37,000 miles on mine, but I bought it used. So I'm holding my breath that my "hypermiling-lite" driving gives me many years before I have to think about a failing IMA.

Old 05-07-2010, 01:17 PM
Enthusiast

Have a 2003 Civic Hybrid with CVT. We use AC when temp gets above 80. Battery died at 84K. Dealer wanted $3200 because car was 4000 miles beyond the 8 year/80000 mile warranty. Called Honda America to complain. They're covering all but $780 of the repair.

Old 05-17-2010, 03:47 PM
Enthusiast

Hi. I have a HCH 2005 just turned 100k miles. First problems with IMA light and about the 4th with the engine light. They never did explain why engine light was on prior times. I think one invoice said something about the catalyst? or something like that. I have read where some HCH owners were able to get American Honda to cover the battery under warranty even though the mileage was over the 80K costing little or no charge.

My local dealer told me he would try and see if American Honda would help with the cost (he also told me he didn't know if Am. Honda did this but he would try...hmm) The next day he told me they would discount the battery from 3000.00 to 2500.00 seems like y'all have done better than that. If anyone can help I would appreciate it. Think I would have better luck if I call American Honda myself? He said now that the IMA light is not on, engine light still on to bring it back and they want to try something?????to see if it would help. What do y'all think? Thanks

Old 06-03-2010, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Honda won't help, as this a loss of $ for them. Once they start helping one, they then get pressured to help all and that means a big loss of $$$$. They especially won't help on the older HCH's. There have been several class action lawsuits against Honda for the HCH I's, CVT slippage issue, cats, O2 sensors, etc...Honda NA will do nothing unless really pressured, unless you luckily find a dealer or a rep with a heart...

Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast

Thank you for your response. Yes, I am finding out that Honda won't cover the issue. However after doing some research I read that the original Insight warranties were extended to 10 year/150k miles because of a class action suit based partially on the battery issue. Also, I have read that the older Insight battery packs are interchangeable with the older HCH's. (older like 2002-2005)I have pulled the specs on the two cars and it appears the batteries may be the same, however I am not a battery expert. I would like to know for sure if they are the same battery packs, so if anyone knows for sure I would like to hear. Thanks and good luck to all HCH owners who are having this issue. There is another link were other HCH owners are addressing their concern and it is: http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/civ...-problems.html

Old 06-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Think green.

If I remember correctly the individual battery cells or sticks may be the same, but the casing in which the entire setup is enclosed is a different size.
Try going to www.hybrid-battery-repair.com and go to the contact link. I think he would be able to answer your question regarding the difference in the battery packs between an old Insight and an old HCH.

Quick Reply: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands