HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Old 07-11-2010, 06:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

My car wouldnt start two days in a row. I unlpugged battery and plugged back in. is that bad for the ima battery

Old 07-11-2010, 09:30 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by happycomputers
My car wouldnt start two days in a row. I unlpugged battery and plugged back in. is that bad for the ima battery
from what I gather and experience if your talking about within and hour or so, should be alright, but any longer as in any computer control car the computer could reset,and need to be dealer tune, not charging your ima or leaving it in a state of low charge weeks can damage it for good, keep it charge

what I wanted give information about some who find your ima battery once in a while mysteriously low, and also get poor mpg,
on my car I found out some times after a long run and parked the radiator fan stay on,I have waited about a few minutes and the fan still was on,its should turn off automatically sometime but if i start the car again and turn it off it stop.

the honda has a under size battery 475 to 500 ca leaving a huge radiator fan that long will leave you small battery half low ,in a few miles your bars will mysteriously disappear.

you should get a new battery every 2 years,it will start your car well, that not the problem its
wear from the other end that how well its recharge,old battery dont want to fully recharge takes a longer time,so mostly its running at 60 to 70 %
not in performance mode,even if it start well,

my experience of daily charging running multi battery packs in my before cars
reglar battery charge 75% at 14.2 amp fast for the first few miles 25 % 13 normal amp slowly, good home charger also charge that way, a older on the way out battery stay trying to charge that 75% at 14.2 amp at all times country and back and never fully charge . a 60 to 70 % battery, its taxing the system poor mpg.
I run duel battery in my hh1 directions in other thread .
run wonderfully,sorry if I cant answer question ,I using a apple store laptop now my computer takes many try s to post anything.

Last edited by aqua; 07-11-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

Wow...What a fast response!! I just joined the forum. I am impressed. I did have the ima light come on today. Does that always mean the batteries need replacing? Can that just mean it got low. The regular battery is from 2005. Do you suggest I go honda or should I buy an Optima? IS it safe to use a solar charger wth a voltage regulator on it?

Thanks

Mike

Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Wow...What a fast response!! I just joined the forum. I am impressed. I did have the ima light come on today. Does that always mean the batteries need replacing? Can that just mean it got low. The regular battery is from 2005. Do you suggest I go honda or should I buy an Optima? IS it safe to use a solar charger wth a voltage regulator on it?

Thanks
hi Iam new also just 6 week since I got my car,if you read into this thread someone and other believe a air condition relay in his case changing it was a fix, a non honda , try to find that page for info ,but you are still under warranty I would give honda a visit.but dont go in too hopeful,
low as in not used or recharge in a while then maybe.
inside the ima battery pack their is 5 heat sensors check out my other tread in pictures their is a article directions if you really need to take out your ima battery pack,send it out going it alone for the do it yourself, was in this month solar article a link is on page 2 somewhere.and a venting mod to help the fan inside get some cool air,
Optima wrap battery don't think they make it for the civic , I use a walmart civic battery with very good results .keep the old battery as it can be used as a duel battery after your honda visit.
solar charger? solar panel? on your roof 18 watts is probably the most you could fit .can recharge a duel battery but not enough to worth the work,duel battery as in my other thread
Mike

Old 07-13-2010, 10:37 PM
Enthusiast
Unhappy Re: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Does the IMA Battery have anything with the battery that starts the car. This is the 3 rd day out of 4 after letting the car sit overnight that it wouldn't start without a jump. The ima light had also been going on and off randomly. Can all this just be related to the main battery? Autozone tested the battery in front of their store and said it was putting out around 12volts. Any advice is appreciated. No codes are coming up in the scan.

Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Does the IMA Battery have anything with the battery that starts the car. This is the 3 rd day out of 4 after letting the car sit overnight that it wouldn't start without a jump. The ima light had also been going on and off randomly. Can all this just be related to the main battery? Autozone tested the battery in front of their store and said it was putting out around 12volts. Any advice is appreciated. No codes are coming up in the scan.
buy a new civic battery, every 2 years, insurance ,the 12 volt ok check doesn't come from the regular battery,it come from the alternator ,or in this case the dc 140 volt to dc 12 volts down converter that check out ok . meaning your battery not holding the charge,as a verified ,the rule on the hybrid is never have your regular 90.00 car battery
died on the car,or its cost you big time,
as its under size, and as its support and remember setting ,the computer has ima battery safety software ,sensors when and where.
and mechanically, moving
keep that ima battery charge ,(bar are estimated till driven a few miles) the ima battery go close to dead its ruined
a fellow here said a dead car battery cost him a ima battery replacement and a software update and the car was never as good as was new,

Last edited by aqua; 07-13-2010 at 11:45 PM.
Old 07-13-2010, 11:33 PM
Enthusiast

I ordered one of the yellow top sealed optima batteries. I want to say it was close to two hundred dollars. IS that ok or should I have purchased a Honda one?

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 AM
Active Enthusiast

I ordered one of the yellow top sealed optima batteries. I want to say it was close to two hundred dollars. IS that ok or should I have purchased a Honda one?
no the optima way better than the honda. sparial wrap has way more surface area than regular battery, tricky to order one from what i heard the hch1 used 51R civic battery's but in the optima its not the optima D51R above link tab not working http://www.jegs.com/i/Optima-Batteri...oductId=746815 but the optima D51 http://www.jegs.com/i/Optima-Batteri...oductId=746815 here another 2th it but doesn't say if its a D51R or a D51 must be a D51 http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/de...108073167.html sent it over quick .

Last edited by aqua; 07-14-2010 at 02:51 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:38 PM
pal
Enthusiast

hey folks- i also had my 12v battery die on my 03 HCH , replaced it, and a month or so later the IMA light came on. dealer said i needed a new IMA battery. i was at 83k mi. warranty goes to 80k. the good news today is that there was a class action suit about this issue and now the warranty is extended to 85k. so those of you who are close to that with signs of trouble, run on in for a new battery. even if over mi they might give good will consideration. now i'm hoping the car will run at least as well as before- 40-42 mpg. and i will never let my 12 volt run down again. and btw, i located some cheap low milage IMAs on ebay, but, in a less than thorough search, could not find anyone who would put it in in Los Angeles. now the decision is how long to keep this car. given the eco waste of getting a new one i'll probably wait until the full electric cars take hold. any other tips on how to make this IMA last as long as possible? no other troubles til now except a front bumper that's too low.
thanks all.

Old 07-30-2010, 01:46 PM
Enthusiast

Add me to the list of failed batteries:

2003 HCH
53k miles on car
CVT

error codes P1600, P1602, P1444, P1449
Needs IMA battery - estimated cost $3000 to fix to me.

Home Solar magazine came last week -- will attempt to rejuv the battery pack myself. Not much to lose.

Dealer said when car IMA battery is dead, car wont run. I dont know if that is bs or not.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Failed IMA Battery Owners!

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands