HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Fuel Filter/Injector Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast
Default Fuel Filter/Injector Cleaning

So, I own a 2004 HCH. I have had a battery problem for some time now, but that's not my discussion point. I will eventually replace the battery, but first off I have to fix the gas engine and was wondering people's experience with this.

I've had loss of power with the gas engine (like unable to climb a hill on the interstate in 4th gear with no battery assist, and so I have to drop to 3rd and go 50 mph up every hill, which is embarrassing). Also had some knocking when light acceleration up a hill, but not under heavy duress nor coasting. Loss of gas mileage as well. Tune up was done recently (by me), and spark plugs were replaced. I have 110k miles.

My senses tells me it is fuel supply (fuel filter clogged or injectors). Putting in premium gas with Techron injector cleaning gives back my power and stops the knock. However, it just comes back a tank or two later. Putting Techron in my tank every 2 fillups would get kind of pricey.

So, I need to start a cleanup:

Fuel filter: Anybody notice that Honda no longer sells the fuel filter alone for the HCH I? http://estore.honda.com/honda/parts/...n=&b=B++03&dl=

They only sell the filter/pump together for $321!!! What jerks!!

I found a filter alone on Amazon by an OEM replacement manufacturer, and I'm waiting on that.

Injectors: I'm gonna do the filter first, cause it's cheaper and easier. But afterwards was wondering if an injector cleaning service was as good as taking them out and cleaning them myself, depending on how easy it is.

Has anyone had similar experience with this? What was your solution? I've heard the injectors are always a problem with hybrids, as the auto-stop just allows the fuel and carbon gunk to sit right on them. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me here.