HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Grinding noise from CVT

Old 02-02-2016, 04:24 PM
Enthusiast
Default Grinding noise from CVT

Brief background: 2003 Civic, automatic transmission, 260k miles. Already gone through burnishing process twice (once more than a year back, next recently when the shudder showed up again), so no shudder issue now. IMA light is on, and has been on for more than a year (we chose not to replace the battery pack)

Problem: We can hear a (painful) grinding noise as soon as the car is shifted to drive.
- no noise in neutral when cat is stopped
- noise can be heard if the car is coasting in neutral
- issue started out only in drive mode, but now happens in reverse gear too.
- started out mild (about a couple of hundred miles ago), now it is getting louder

Trying to trouble shoot, reading up forums, and follwoing multiple leads:
- happens only in gear, so engine can be ruled out. engine itself runs very quiet.
- noise heard as soon as shifted, with even the car moving, so brakes can be ruled out (recently changed)
- No high-pitched noise, or lack of power, car still gives about 43mpg - can we rule out loose belts in CVT?

What else can we look at - flywheels? bearings?
Thanks.

Last edited by billyjoebob111; 02-02-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-02-2016, 09:34 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Grinding noise from CVT

Sounds like the CVT is going south. I'd drain the fluid and look for particulates. It might even be worth dropping the pan if you can get to it.

Homey replaced the belt on his CVT, so you may want to hit him up and draw his attention to this post.

Old 02-03-2016, 08:36 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
Sounds like the CVT is going south. I'd drain the fluid and look for particulates. It might even be worth dropping the pan if you can get to it.

Homey replaced the belt on his CVT, so you may want to hit him up and draw his attention to this post.
I've been keeping an eye on the transmission fluid (replaced about couple of months back, along with burnishing), it is clear. I haven't checked for particulates at the bottom though.
PS: Infact transmission fluid level was above the 'hot' line, when I checked it first thing in the morning. Is this of concern?

Is this the Homey you are referring to?

Last edited by billyjoebob111; 02-03-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-03-2016, 08:44 AM

I tend to change my CVT fluid every other oil change... it's the only defense we have.

There are magnets higher up in the cavity either on the side of the pan or the housing. I can't remember.

The fact that you've done multiple burnish operations, you already have a compromised start clutch, and failure is more along the lines of sooner rather than later.

Yes, that's the Homey of which I speak.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:37 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds ugly. First there are no loose belts. There are bearings inside on the variator. If you have got 260 miles on your transmission you are one of the luckier guys I know. The belt or bearings sound like they have worn out and all you can do is pull it apart and look inside. I understand its bad news but what can I say. Be advised when the belt goes your walking. period. Right there at the stop sign. So be prepared, maybe have aaa or tow option available and don't let anyone get stuck who cant handle the failure.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billyjoebob111
Brief background: 2003 Civic, automatic transmission, 260k miles. Already gone through burnishing process twice (once more than a year back, next recently when the shudder showed up again), so no shudder issue now. IMA light is on, and has been on for more than a year (we chose not to replace the battery pack)

Problem: We can hear a (painful) grinding noise as soon as the car is shifted to drive.
First count your blessings. 260k is way past when most of these transmissions have failed.

Second, start shopping for a new car, or if you are a glutton for punishment, a replacement transmission. There is no way that the repair is going to be less than 3000$, and that is most likely more than your car is worth.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:08 PM

P_C,

You are always a ray of sunshine when it comes to the HCH1

Old 02-04-2016, 04:28 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pasadena_commut
First count your blessings. 260k is way past when most of these transmissions have failed.

Second, start shopping for a new car, or if you are a glutton for punishment, a replacement transmission. There is no way that the repair is going to be less than 3000$, and that is most likely more than your car is worth.

You can get through it for 1500 or 2000 but your battery should be on its last leg if you haven't already done something to breathe the breath of life into it. To be honest though, the cvt in this car is a real Turd and with the wiring harness being what I call cheasy I would try to sell it to some adventurous fella like myself and walk away. If it still runs you should be able to get a grand out of it. Let it go and its 300 at the yard.

Last edited by Homey; 02-04-2016 at 04:33 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:29 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
You are always a ray of sunshine when it comes to the HCH1
Bad experiences. Had to service the transmission, cost $3000. First IMA failed and was replaced under warranty with a piece of junk from Honda that lasted just a few years and is now on its last legs. Futzed around with a grid charger to eke a little more life out of it, which I think is really above and beyond what a car should need. Oil changes and transmission fluid changes cost much more than other cars, and the frequency required for the latter is unreasonable. This is by far the most expensive car to maintain that I have ever owned. (Over 40 years of owning cars.) Economically, the vehicle doesn't make any sense, it saves on gas but there are no savings because the other issues are so expensive.

If I wanted to spend so much time and money on a car I would drive a Jag, anyway, something with more entertainment value.

Regarding the OP's transmission issue, when mine had problems I looked around the LA area and 99% of the shops didn't actually service these transmissions, they just plugged in a replacement they got from the same transmission rebuilder in this region. The 1% was a shop quite far away and a shop nearby, these were the only two that I could find that actually worked on them. I went with the local shop because at least I knew the history of the current transmission, and I didn't want to deal with a "new" transmission which had been through who knows what. Either way though, replace or repair, it was going to cost $3000.

Old 02-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Homey
YIf it still runs you should be able to get a grand out of it.
Depends where you live. The IMA light is on, and therefore so is the CEL. I cannot sell the car to another individual unless it passes smog, and by definition in CA these days, if the CEL is on for any reason, it does not pass. So to sell it I would need to replace the IMA battery, which for any sort of a reliable unit (Bumblebee), is going to cost at least as much as the car is worth.

Right now I'm just driving it until the IMA finally completely gives up the ghost, or I guess until I am forced to smog check it, which it cannot pass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Grinding noise from CVT

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands