HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Headlight bulb replacement- 2004 HCH 1

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Enthusiast
Default Headlight bulb replacement- 2004 HCH 1

Seriously, is this as difficult as it seems to be from looking at them?? The manual says to access them from under the fender but there's no access to them there. From the top, there's a lot of stuff blocking access and I can't even get my hand in there.

I can't physically see what holds them in, looks like 3 flathead Phillips screws but I don't think a screwdriver will fit in there.

Surely there's a magic button you push and they fall out into your hands. :-S

Thanks,

Davey

Old 01-27-2013, 02:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Headlight bulb replacement- 2004 HCH 1

The 'secret' is that the screws only need to be loosened a bit and the third inaccessible one can be left as-is. Then the bulb rotates a fraction of a turn and comes out. I was able to get it with a 1/4" drive ratchet and screwdriver bit and different extensions.

However, one bit fell into the bowels of the car and somewhere onto the underside plastic shrouding and another I very skillfully dropped into the washer fluid reservoir. The first is a write off; the second I need to get out but so far fishing with a magnet hasn't located it. Maybe I'll leave the magnet danging on a string in the tank and see if they eventually discover each other and mate up.

Looking around, I see nothing to adjust the headlights with. It all looks hard-mounted.