HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Help! Failed Emission because of code 1449!

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast
Default Help! Failed Emission because of code 1449!

Hi Everyone! I need help. I have a 2003 HCH with 132,000 miles with the original IMA battery. In early 2009 I got new O2 sensors and replaced the Catalytic Converter after check engine light would not turn off. After the repairs my check engine light reappeared within the week - and apparently it could have the battery all along! Well, fast forward to this month and I just failed Emission because of my check engine light was on and not necessarily the actual emissions failure. I went to my honda dealer and yes it was the 1449 - IMA battery code.

My IMA battery light has been on since late 2008 - I kid you not - since about 90,000 miles and has been fully charging to this very day. The problem i am having it that I can't pass emissions until I fix my check engine light and the only way to do that is to change my IMA battery.

So, it sounds like an easy fix but my battery still charges fine! Its always fully charged even in this summer heat with A/C. I pointed this out to my honda dealer that if my battery is still charging and I'm still getting on 42-45 mpg why do I need to change it? Well, he says the CODE and it could stop charging one day down the road..blah blah blah. Also, the IMA will automatically come on after 80,000 miles.

I'm not sure what I am asking but I was quoted $2500 for a new battery but I did not fail the emission test just the 'check engine light' test. I don't need a new battery! Not now anyways and when it can't hold a charge I will be the first in line for a new IMA. I have two months to decide. So, anyone else have this problem?

end rant

Old 07-24-2010, 09:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Help! Failed Emission because of code 1449!

If you reset the code how long does it take to come back? In CA there is a state program you might qualify for that limits your cost to $500 and a state grant pays the rest (this varies by smog district.) Your battery could also be good as you suspect and the onboard diagnostic computer is whacky. Had a similiar issue with a non hybrid mercedes........nothing wrong with the vehicle except for the computer that monitors the emission parts. Light on no pass not even if it was exhausting 0 emissions.

Old 08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Help! Failed Emission because of code 1449!

Originally Posted by Hybrid_MDGirl
So, it sounds like an easy fix but my battery still charges fine! Its always fully charged even in this summer heat with A/C. I pointed this out to my honda dealer that if my battery is still charging and I'm still getting on 42-45 mpg why do I need to change it? Well, he says the CODE and it could stop charging one day down the road..blah blah blah. Also, the IMA will automatically come on after 80,000 miles.
That last part is not true, but the rest is. Most P1449s eventually graduate to a stage where the car shuts down the IMA system. No AC, no alternator functionality, etc. The bit about the stopping charging is referring to the front 12V battery. When it happens, you've got 20 miles until you break down.

Ultimately, it comes down to "why do I need to change it?" - "because the state requires it in order to pass inspection".

You can repair the battery instead of replacing it. Do a little google searching and you can save some money.