HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic conver

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
A mailing was sent to (I assume) the original owners of 2003-2005 HCH's regarding possible reimbursement of money spent replacing catalytic converters and secondary oxygen sensors. The letters also recommended an upgrade to the ECU on these models.
I bought my car new but I have never received any correspondence from Honda Corporate. Like the letter that went out about growling transmission problems that need burnishing and then possible replacement. I went in to Honda last year and they said it was a heat shield rattling when it was my clutch failing. Now I am out of warrantee. I truly believe there is a systematic effort on Honda's part to sidestep every chance of taking ownership ($$$) of the 2004 HCH problems.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM
Think green.
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic conver

Originally Posted by mrkcohen
I don't think there was an actual "recall"

A mailing was sent to (I assume) the original owners of 2003-2005 HCH's regarding possible reimbursement of money spent replacing catalytic converters and secondary oxygen sensors. The letters also recommended an upgrade to the ECU on these models.

If you bought your HCH used you probably won't receive these letters. Also I'm guessing the letters were only sent to owners of cars with specific VIN's.
I bought mine used from a Honda dealer, and I received the letters.
I think they try to send these letters to the current owner if they have their info listed in their system, most likely in cases where the car was purchased at a Honda dealership.

If a car was sold privately, I imagine the original owner would be receiving the letter. There's a section on one of the papers where that owner can report that they sold the vehicle, etc. Apparently if they had paid to have a cat replaced, they are eligible for reimbursement even if they no longer own the car, as long as they have proof that they paid for the repair.

If someone has not received this info from Honda, they should have their VIN looked up in the computer at a Honda dealership. When I went in to make an appointment the other day, the service adviser looked my car up and handed me a printout which listed all previous and current updates and relevant warranty info on my car.

If you didn't receive these letters, you should contact Honda to see if you can have them sent to you, based on your car's VIN number, especially if you need those reimbursement forms.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Active Enthusiast

Ok, I bought mine HCH new in 2003. Have not received any letter from Honda other than the software update which was a few years ago. Right now I'm at 193,000 miles, second IMA battery (replaced under warranty at 120,000 miles), original catalytic converter, original oxygen sensors and still getting about 49 mpg. I also live in California which is the Smog Check capital of the world. Normal cars here must receive a Smog Check or Smog Test Only every other year. My HCH is apparently exempt from Smog Checks since I have never had to get one.

Here's my question, why do I care if my catalytic converter goes out? It's my understanding that a catalytic converter reduces emissions, but if the state doesn't require my HCH to have a Smog Check, why have one?

Old 09-22-2011, 10:02 AM
Think green.

Howard,
I don't know; I suppose it's your choice.

The letter does have a note to CA residents which says that after you have the update, the dealer will give you a Proof of Correction certificate which you should keep for your records as proof that the product update was completed. Submit the certificate to the DMV only if the DMV requests it.

Doesn't a CA owner have a longer warranty on these emissions parts anyway?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Enthusiast

Hi everyone
I sold my 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid last April. I received the paperwork regarding the oxygen sensors and transmission/ catalytic converter but they have been misplaced. Does anyone know where I can obtain these forms?

I have replaced the said parts and have spent a few thousand dollars doing so. The reason I sold in April was because the mechanic informed me that these parts were bad again. As I no longer own the car is there a chance Honda would reimburse me for the money I've spent? I'd appreciate any ideas regarding.

Old 09-22-2011, 11:45 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
Howard,
I don't know; I suppose it's your choice.

The letter does have a note to CA residents which says that after you have the update, the dealer will give you a Proof of Correction certificate which you should keep for your records as proof that the product update was completed. Submit the certificate to the DMV only if the DMV requests it.

Doesn't a CA owner have a longer warranty on these emissions parts anyway?
Yea, a few years back when I had the software update completed I had to submit that certificate to the DVM when I re-register the car.

And, you're right. The emissions and IMA components here in CA are covered for 15/150. It just seems strange. Everythings covered for 15/150 but after that I guess the catalytic converter could just "fall off" and I could replace it with a straight pipe and be good to go! The state doesn't check!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks!

Old 09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karrina
Hi everyone
I sold my 2004 Honda Civic Hybrid last April. I received the paperwork regarding the oxygen sensors and transmission/ catalytic converter but they have been misplaced. Does anyone know where I can obtain these forms?

I have replaced the said parts and have spent a few thousand dollars doing so. The reason I sold in April was because the mechanic informed me that these parts were bad again. As I no longer own the car is there a chance Honda would reimburse me for the money I've spent? I'd appreciate any ideas regarding.
The process for seeking reimbursement applies even if you no longer own the vehicle as long as you can show that you did pay for the repair, and the repair was for one of the previously mentioned fault codes. If you've misplaced the forms, I think a call to Honda corporate (toll-free number: 1-800-999-1009) could get you taken care of. I've already filled my forms out and sent them in, otherwise I would scan them and send them to you.

Last edited by hiram6; 09-22-2011 at 12:48 PM. Reason: added phone number
Old 09-22-2011, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast

I just spoke with Honda, (the number is the same one as above: 1-800-999-1009). Copies of invoices and proof of payment are to be faxed to 1-909-664-9009. I even have my own case manager! And yes, you can be reimbursed if you no longer own the vehicle. I want to add that I have spent the last 3 years grappling with the car it's oxygen sensors and cat converter. Finally last spring someone amazingly figured out all the shuddering and almost stalling out was due to the oxygen sensors. At that point I went and bought a 2011 prius, which I totally love. I want to thank you all, you've been a great help.

Old 09-23-2011, 07:50 AM
Enthusiast

Well, it's been 2 days since my software was updated. The check engine light has come on twice, and gone off after it was turned off and restarted later. I don't live close enough to a dealer to have the code checked while it is on, but will try to as soon as the opportunity presents itself. Just posting here for the record in case others experience the same issue.

Quick Reply: Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic converter

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands