HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic converter

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2012, 02:07 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic conver

Originally Posted by Gairwyn
From what Honda's letter said, yes, you are covered even if you bought your car used.
Try having your VIN number entered into the service adviser's computer at a Honda dealership; they should be able to tell you if your car is covered. Or you could call Honda like Karina did in one of the earlier pages on this thread. The phone number listed on my letter was 800-999-1099, option 4.

If you need the numbers for the software update and warranty extension, here they are:
11-043 is the current software update for the cat. sensors
11-044 is the warranty extension for the secondary and third heated oxygen sensors. Warranty is extended to 8 years from the original date of purchase or 80,000 miles whichever comes first. If you already paid for a replacement on one of these parts, Honda should be able to get you the proper reimbursement papers you need to send in.
Thanks a lot! Just called them up and they told me to send in the receipt. Fingers crossed.

I had it replaced about 2 years and thought it could never be recovered. There is some hope at least.

Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2012, 02:32 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Honda Civic Hybrid recall / product advisory ~oxygen sensors and catalytic conver

Sorry about not getting back sooner.

Yes, I did get a check from the American Honda for cost of my catalytic converter. It took forever but it did get here.

Thanks again.....

Jerry

Old 11-11-2012, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

That's good to know it's just an O2 sensor. they told me many years ago that i had to replace the converter at a $1100 I laughed at kept driving with the light on. I've got 222,000 miles I waiting for this transmission to give out it's been on it's last leg for two or more years that's $3000 i'm not looking forward to paying if anyone knows where we can get it for cheaper please let me know. I'ts my road doggy I love my civic...

Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

So as I just mentioned in a different thread, I sent in my paperwork last year for having replaced an O2 sensor, and they denied the claim because what had been replaced was the primary O2 sensor, not the secondary and third O2 sensors. Now I'm just past the extended warranty mileage (80,000 miles) for that repair, and I just got socked with having to replace the secondary and third O2 sensors.

But some of you guys are talking about having gotten partial reimbursement for some of the things covered by that bulletin, even when you were past the extended mileage. Here's what I'm wondering: Has anyone successfully gotten Honda to reimburse them even partially for the secondary and third O2 sensors once they were past the extended mileage for that set to still be under warranty? I'm just past 85,000 miles on my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid, and I'm PISSED, because literally about a week ago I had to replace the IMA battery, which ran me a little over $3,000.

Luckily, the latter repair was within the extended mileage for it to still be under warranty, due to the recent class-action settlement, so I should eventually be getting reimbursed for that...but nonetheless, I'm going to have paid more than $4,000 out of pocket this month for repairs to faulty parts on this thing.

Anyway, if anyone's heard of getting Honda to reimburse them even partially for the secondary and third O2 sensors once they were out of that extended warranty mileage, could you reply or let me know? Thank you!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Think green.

The only thing I can think of was, there was another class action settlement that had to do with Honda odometers reading incorrectly. For the affected cars, the warranty mileage limits were increased by 5%. So instead of a car being warranted to 80,000 miles, it was increased to 84,000 miles. That would put you pretty close. You are a bit over, but maybe you could get a partial deal on your repair.

Check your PM box.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:59 AM
Enthusiast

That is very useful—thank you!

Old 11-07-2014, 01:24 PM
Enthusiast

I am now at 201,000 miles and going strong. I always used synthetic oil and changed it every 5000 miles. I was wondering about the need for the oxygen sensor and my catalytic convertor has been shot for a long time. I happen to live in a county in Pa where they do not do smog so i never fixed the check engine light but when i have before in the past it seems the dealerships always make some strange adjustment which causes the car to smell but the further i get in months and use from those adjustments the better the smell and i haven't had that nasty smell of exhaust for over 10k miles and that was a trip to calif and back in the last yr. anyway i did replace the hybrid battery at 120k miles but the one i got from honda in Calif installed in Pa has lasted now well over the 36k mile warranty. anyway thought i would check in with you all.