HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

How to flush coolant out of the CVT

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default How to flush coolant out of the CVT

Hi,

Last week, I noticed oil in my radiator and that my CVT fluid was white. I narrowed things down to a corroded radiator fitting, which allowed coolant to enter into the CVT fluid lines. When that happens, the fluid turns into an off-white color.

This CVT fluid is very expensive. I thought I could do a couple of drain and fill sequences and have things turn back to normal. I find, however, the CVT fluid comes out white after just a few minutes in the CVT.

Is there a way to flush the CVT while it is still in the vehicle? I really don't want to pull that transmission out just to clean things. Has anyone had any experiences with this problem?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 09-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor
Default Re: How to flush coolant out of the CVT

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...10/#post103115

Old 09-07-2013, 07:38 PM
Enthusiast

Hi, Thanks. I would call that more of a drain and fill, not a flush. The drain and fill option is not working for me.

I can add also that flushing by disconnecting the oil cooler lines and physically pumping in clean CVT fluid while the tranny ejects contaminated CVT fluid does not work either. I just blew through twenty quarts of CVT fluid. That coolant mix is tricky stuff to get out.

I am now looking at removing the CVT, cracking it open and seeing how much I can clean out.

Thanks for the help, it just doesn't work for me in this case.

Old 10-29-2013, 06:46 PM
Enthusiast

Back from the depths of my garage...I did take that CVT out of the car, open it up, and clean the three big sections with Brakleen. I got the cleaning fluid at a local Pep Boys. So, if you run into a situation where you get coolant in your CVT, I would recommend a drain and fill first. Then, you can optionally try flushing by forcing fresh CVT fluid while the tranny ejects the mixed stuff. I can definitely say, I am glad I cleaned out that transmission. That white stuff was everywhere. When I sprayed the big parts with Brakleen, it just rolled right off.

In some ways, the transmission is better off than it was. I remember there was a shudder during low speed acceleration. That has now shifted to a more grippy clutch.

Well, the Civic is back on the road. I just thought I would share my experiences for the next person who runs into this problem.

Good Luck,
Chris