HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2007, 12:35 PM
Banned
Default Re: How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

I would not stop at the dealership.

Old 08-11-2007, 02:43 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Yeah, $6,000 isn't a "reasonable" number for this.

I just wanted to say/ask, Delta, it really seems like a bad battery pack wouldn't negate the ability of the IMA motor to charge/provide system voltage. The only reason you should have to charge the 12v overnight is if the system failure is in the motor, not the 148v battery pack, and the motor is supposed to be far more reliable than the battery pack.

'Cause I'm thinking, typically, a 12v battery powering delivering spark to a modern ICE is only going to live for a couple hours of driving because of how much current draw there is to develop high voltage for the coils. Anybody who's driving their IMA system around for months with a non-charging battery pack still has to have a functioning motor/generator that'd developing system power, just unable to feed any of it back into the battery pack.

So I was just unclear: is this what you're saying, or are you saying that for some reason a dead battery pack means the entire IMA system no longer generates electricity -- 'cause I just can't see how that would be.

cheers --
doug

Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

wow...6k...

I feel for you and your car

Just keep us updated on what is happening.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hellbent
odd to me how the gas milage is so close to the same it's not even an issue. I use to get 39-40 mpg. now I get 37-38 mpg.
This seems to be the simple benefit of having a car that is adequately powered without going beyond. A small lightweight aerodynamic vehicle with a 1.3 liter engine should get pretty good mileage. That should be the starting point of every FE conscious vehicle. Unfortunately few other hybrid vehicles are starting with this concept, instead they're trying to see how much beef they can get under the hood, and wondering why the hybrid system only saves a couple mpg.

Old 08-17-2007, 09:08 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast

Agreed, Zimbop, although the HCH II isn't *that* light -- barely under 3,000. Certainly not bad, but still a lot for a 1.3 to roll.

Cheers --
Doug

Old 08-18-2007, 02:31 PM
Active Enthusiast

I wonder if you could permanently remove the 148v battery pack to lighten the car and drive it around without the benefit of the electric motor & regenerative braking.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:36 PM

You apparantly need the 148v battery to keep the breakers open for the dc/dc converter to work. So while it may be able to run with a degraded and non functioning battery, it won't run with out any battery as far as anyone knows.

I posted this thread over at cleanmpg in response to this one.
http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5828

Old 03-23-2009, 06:54 AM
Enthusiast

How about a one word answer? When I asked the Honda used car dealer if the car would run if the battery went dead he said "Yes." Is that false? He said he went and talked to the service department and that's what they told him. I'm beginning to think this dealer was just telling me whatever I wanted to hear to buy the car (shocker).

So I'll ask the question again here: Can you drive the car if the battery is completely dead (not just the IMA light on)

Thanks!

Old 04-04-2009, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, sort-of, it depends. In an Insight, the DC-DC converter will run as long as the revs are below 3500, but if I recall, not if there is a P1449 error. The reason is that a P1449 means that one cell is overheating (>140 degrees). The car will try to keep the cell from doing serious damage by cutting off all battery charging. At the same time, it cuts off the AC compressor to save power as you limp home without the equivalent of an alternator.

A P1447 (aka P1433 battery degraded) is different. The car is announcing that the battery is garbage, but it will continue to try to use it.

Be aware that there are companies that can repair the battery pack for less than $1000. Do a Google search for "IMA BATTERY REPAIR".

Old 04-04-2009, 06:51 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OlympicDreams
I wonder if you could permanently remove the 148v battery pack to lighten the car and drive it around without the benefit of the electric motor & regenerative braking.
You would only save 80 lbs. That's the same weight as the spare, the jack and 5 gallons of gas. Or the same as not carrying one child. You'd save less in gas than you'd spend in wear and tear on the brakes due to the lost regenerative braking.

Quick Reply: How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands