HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: How long can you drive w/o IMA/Battery?

Without the IMA battery you will make it about a week. The question is can you disable the IMA and use it as a gas-only vehicle? Yes! It is possible to disable the IMA battery. I have done it for less than $100. I have been driving my Honda Civic 2007 Hybrid for over a year now. In fact I have even noticed my MPG has gone up! When the problem first started I didn't know what to do. I am not a mechanic by any means but it is fairly simple. These are the steps. First you have to turn off the IMA battery, which is located behind the back seat (in the civic at least) remove the back seat and there is a small panel where you have to remove two screws. Behind the panel is a switch simply flip the switch to off and put the panel back on... Note: you have to put the panel back on upside down this is the only way it fits back on. This will make sure that the switch doesn't accidently get flipped back on. After it is turned off replace the seat. Now the previous post are correct in that the IMA system is acts as an alternator. For those of you know don't know, (I didn't) the alternator charges your normal 12v battery when you are driving. So we have to solve this problem. The main 12v battery needs to be replaced with a deep cycle battery which you can get at any walmart, deep cycle batteries are 12v batteries that are installed in boats because boat batteries can be drained all the way down to the very bottom and sit for months (in storage or over the winter) and be able to charge. The standard battery that comes in your car does not have this capability, once the juice is drained it is drained. Once you have your new battery also buy a battery charger, they can be bought at walmart as well, they can cost any where from 25-100 dollars. I would recommend one that has a meter and something compact. After you install the battery you can charge it every night from you garage with the battery charger that plugs right into the wall. So instead of charging the battery while you drive you charge the battery at night. Of course this comes with limitations but if you are tight on cash, like I said, I have been doing this for over a year. I commute to work every day about 70 miles round trip. With a full charge the battery could essential make it almost a full week (I've tried it) but I recommend hooking up the charger every night so that you are in the habit of doing so. Some limitations, when you take it off of the IMA the car will seem sluggish, as you first accelerate, you may have experienced this on a hot day when you had your IMA intact, this is an okay reaction, just get use to it being a little slower at getting to full speed. Other draw back, it is not wise to use the AC at full capacity, I don't us it at all so I conserve battery power. Be conservative with all of your electrical devices, radio, head lights, etc. One last thing I would recommend, most models have safety axillary head lights that stay lite all the time, even if you don't have your headlights on. Simply find look at your user manuel to pull the fuse for those lights. This will help you conserve even more power during the day. I do some night driving with my regular head lights, last night my wife took the car and she was gone in the dark running errands for 4-5 hours, this was even after my normal commute. If you have any questions please feel free to email me jeremyjohnjones@hotmail.com.