HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA battery performance

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default IMA battery performance

Question for the thread:
My 05 hch is at about 165k. still runs well. My battery has been showing signs of weakening but still working ok. Mileage is still good.
I had it into the dealer recently for a software update that was supposedly to turn off the false indications of CAT failure and O2 sensor issues.
I have noticed recently that my ima is less likely to turn on assist. This has not hurt my mileage, because it allows me to gently accellerate even on a slight upgrade without the assist coming on, but if I push harder the assist will come on. Since this change came about my SOC has been much higher because I drive to avoid assist most of the time except for pulse and glide which works well for me.
Question is, do you think this is the software update or do you think my battery is just getting weak enough that the computer is adjusting this stuff. I really don't mind the changes, it allows me to do a bit more with the accelerator without engaging assist.
Mileage to date on this tank is 44.2 and that is on 10% ethanol fuel.
I appreciate any insight (no pun intended) you may have
2nd question is:
If I drive carefully and charge to the point where all bars are full, and if I am able to keep driving without assist and adding regen, will this keep charging the batteries beyond the 80%? or will it actually shut off that capability when the bars are all illuminated?
If it keeps taking charge, this is a way to push the weaker cells toward more charge.