HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA and check engine lights on

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default IMA and check engine lights on

This is a 2003 5-speed with 92K miles. Just had a new clutch and transmission bearings put in two weeks ago by a reputable local shop specializing in Hondas.

Any ideas what it could be? I had the software update for the catalytic converter done in 2004. The IMA and engine both seem to work fine, and fuel economy has not been impacted at all.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA and check engine lights on

I was just informed that the battery in my 2005 HCH has failed. My check engine and IMA lights are on.

My computer Codes were P1600 - IMA System Malfunction and P1433 Battery Module Deterioration. These code definitions are different than the ones I found online. I had AAMCO read the codes for free. Autozone reads them for free in some states, but not California.

The cost is $3003 for the battery and another $300 for labor.

Even through I have under 80k miles, my car has a salvage title and they are saying that this voids the warranty for everything except for safety related issues.

I was also told that I will not be able to pass a smog test because my check engine light is on. Also, my IMA light comes on intermittently. My gas mileage has not changed - 36 mpg. I think hybrids are exempt from smog tests until some time in 2010.

Old 10-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Active Enthusiast

Well, I am in California so the PZEV label requires they warranty emissions-related equipment for 150K miles. That includes the IMA and battery.

I'll call the shop that did the clutch/trans work, but suspect that it is not likely they'll be interested in looking at the IMA light issue.

OTOH, it could just be a firmware update to cure the light coming on unnecessarily. Wasn't this the subject of a recent 'software update' notice?

Old 10-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Enthusiast

I'd take it to the dealer and get a new battery if it is under warranty.

Old 10-16-2008, 12:37 AM

lifespeed. check fuse #9 (a 10 amp fuse) under the hood. When mine blew it gave me a check engine light and ima light.

Checking the fuse is quick and could save the hassle of going to the dealer.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:19 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yep. Sounds like new battery time. In California you're covered for the 150,000 miles, so take it in and get your free battery. Got my new battery at 120,000 miles. I'm at 151,000 now and running like a champ. Should take about 1 to 2 days to replace, depending on if they have one in stock. My replacement took about 5 hours.

Howard

Old 10-16-2008, 10:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

The car is at the dealer right now, the new battery is supposed to arrive tomorrow.

hweldon, do you have a manual trans or a CVT? I have heard from others on this board that the manual trans cars are harder on the hybrid battery, supposedly they are able to draw more from it . . . Not sure this makes sense, I would think the controller would have something to say about how much current was drawn from the battery.

Is there a firmware update to go with the new battery that addresses this, if it is indeed an issue?

Old 10-17-2008, 08:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have the CVT. I also heard that the manuals are tough on the batteries. Hope I don't jinks anything, but my 03 CVT HCH has been just a dream. The only thing other than the battery I've replaced is the front brake pads. Nothing else. I believe maintenance is the key.

Treat her right, and she'll treat you right.

Howard

Old 10-17-2008, 03:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

There is no maintenance for the battery. Either Honda's design supports a long life or it doesn't.

Apparently there is no firmware update available either.

I'm picking it up tonight. I hope they've done something to improve the life, otherwise I'm going to sell this car before the 150K battery warranty is up. It's been a real fuel-saver, but I don't want to throw another $3K at it after another 90K miles on the battery. I just spent $3500 for clutch, tranny and new Koni yellow struts.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Actually I meant maintenance of the vehicle as a whole. But, there is some maintenance you can do to help the battery last longer.

One of the main killer of batteries is heat. Keep them cool. Don't block the cooling vent on the back dash. I had my windows tinted to keep heat from beating down.

Also, I believe keeping the battery in a "charged" state as much possible helps.

It's a great car. Don't give up on her yet.

Howard