HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Originally Posted by S Keith
Hybrid Automotive has in no way paid me for anything at any time for any reason.
Ha! Lies... Pretty blatant ones at that. In the automotive parts industry, most dealer level initial buy-ins start in the $10,000.00 range. Try to buy ARP headstuds direct from the manufacturer and see what they tell you the minimum $$$ you need to spend is? ACT clutches, same deal. They fact that you are factory direct with HA likely means you had to buy quite a few units if not tens or more in order to be a factory direct dealer.

I'm listed because if someone were to contact me because they want one, I would install it. I do not promote them for my own financial gain.
You promote them likely because you are stuck with a bunch of them in stock you can't give away for the life of you.

I didn't badmouth RB Batteries until I bought one and disassembled it. It's complete and total junk.
Not gonna take your word for it however a quick look into linkedin shows that Dan@RB Batteries is more than qualified to build electronics which is more than I can say about you Jeff Sloan.

What you don't understand is that I would actually like to say something positive about MV chargers. I would like to say they are well designed, high build quality, etc. The only things I KNOW about them are negative right now. I also have a desire to inform members of the community so they can make the best decision for them.
You do not and never had any intention of doing anything besides degrading NON HA SYSTEMS. Its not in your financial benefit to plug any other manufacturer and in fact if I recall correctly (which I do) you stated "I wouldn't recommend MV if they paid me $100 ea to do". That's comical since HA pays you an admitted $40.00 per unit you sell for them!

Who qualified you to inform or make decisions for anyone online? From what I have read so far, you are not qualified to put batteries in a flashlight, let alone give honest, unbiased reviews on products or competing product you do or do not have a financial vested interest in.

I'm not angry at all. I have absolutely no malicious intent towards you. I just think you offer an inferior product for several technical reasons. I would LOVE it if you improved your product to address them.
Who is you? Oh I see you're trying to be cutesy and pretend as if I am MV. Yeah, bud we've been over this before, Jeff Sloan and I am merely an active user that is tired of reading your biased propaganda fueled by your HA sales commission structure.

Old 03-25-2017, 05:25 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Jay,

You've really taken a bit of a crazy turn. I gave you too much credit for your "conspiracy theorist" abilities. Now you're just going off the deep end. Maybe back away from the computer.

Take care,

Steve

Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MaximumFuelage
So let me get this straight?

1.You are a Dealer for HA where you are listed on their website as a reseller.

2.They pay you commissions on selling their equipment in web forums and social media promotion.

3. You just so happened to buy their competitor's system online a month ago with no ill premeditated intentions to conjure up a negative marketing campaign claiming mail fraud or some other shenanigans.

4. You get put in your place in the forums for providing false info on their competitor systems by an actual product user.

5. All of a sudden you get angry when your qualifications are questioned.

6. You choose to maliciously retaliate against your sponsor/reseller's competitor company product.

7. Amazingly the competitors product you purchased close to a month ago and signed receipt for two weeks ago (Maxx Volts sends all signature packages to insure delivery, I know as I had to sign for mine) you now claim it to be something other than a fully tested system.

It couldn't be more clear what is going on here Steven. I don't believe your nonsense for a second and I have a hard time believing that anyone that knows your history of degrading RB Batteries and Maxx Volts, while getting paid by Hybrid Automotive for positive reviews and social media marketing / reseller dealer is gonna believe your ill conceived plan to degrade a HA competitor for financial gain.

omg would you just get over the fact that Steve (for whatever reason) likes the HA system more than the one which you shill just as hard for?

for all I know you are the guy who owns maxxvolts.
Anybody reading this would make the same accusation of you, whether youre MV himself or not its clean you got a horse in this race too.

THAT BEING SAID, get over it! It's useless! You like maxx, he like ha. You spend all your time writing how he's got vested interest (pray tell how would one verify that he caused ha to get a sale? Actually please dont...) and do little else...

help for the OP from you amounted to "its his fault ". Maybe that's accurate but I don't see any proof one way or the other.

I don't know nimh batteries but I know nicad NEED to be discharged... but I can built my own light bulb mount for 8 bucks and won't get his for an extra 80.

fact is I see a bunch of people citing this fan issue here and other forums. Until that's solved, even though the install looks cleaner, MV system doesn't look as appealing. But your solution to that problem is to for the umpteenth time talk about how Steve is paid....oh wait that doesn't help OP OR ME.I gave up and emailed bumblebee batts to ask them what they thought... expecting a PC reply or on ewhich just says dont.

​​​​​except the joke about HA product looking like a gigantic air freshener, I concur and that's pretty funny.

Last edited by dosmastr; 03-26-2017 at 05:58 AM.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by dosmastr
I don't know nimh batteries but I know nicad NEED to be discharged... but I can built my own light bulb mount for 8 bucks and won't get his for an extra 80.

fact is I see a bunch of people citing this fan issue here and other forums. Until that's solved, even though the install looks cleaner, MV system doesn't look as appealing. But your solution to that problem is to for the umpteenth time talk about how Steve is paid....oh wait that doesn't help OP OR ME.I gave up and emailed bumblebee batts to ask them what they thought... expecting a PC reply or on ewhich just says dont.

​​​​​except the joke about HA product looking like a gigantic air freshener, I concur and that's pretty funny.
You have it right. The concept is almost identical. NiMH is dramatically more resistant to voltage depression (VD) than NiCd, but over time and short cycling, particularly if heat is a factor, they will lose a massive amount of capacity. The only way to recover it is through discharge - this is my biggest gripe about the MV system. I'm also particularly sensitive to it because capacity loss from voltage depression is RAMPANT here in the Phoenix area. The heat absolutely crushes capacity. It's not uncommon for a cell that will eventually put out 6000mAh+ to start around 2400mAh due to massive VD.

Assuming MV started sometime in 2014, the need for discharge was established about 4 years before MV started producing chargers, and heclearly borrowed heavily from Mike D's Genesis One. It's unclear why he ignored all of Mike's data concerning discharge.

The connector alone on the HA discharger is close to $10 as I recall, but maybe it was for both ends. It doesn't seem like much, but you're paying for convenience to have somebody else build it for you and to have the ability to connect to the existing harness.

IF you go with an HA unit, and you plan to make your own discharger, and you plan to connect to the existing harness, make sure you get the "discharge ready" version, or you'll be stuck with a diode in the harness, and you'll have to make your own discharge harness too.

Old 04-11-2018, 08:35 AM
Enthusiast

I ALSO have a maxxvolts grid charger and my fan runs constantly! Grid charger broke after a year or so. I completely unwired it and my fan still runs. Did anyone find a solution for this problem? I have a 2006 HCH

Old 04-11-2018, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

Sounds like you wired the system incorrectly. The Maxx Volts system I use came with a 2 year warranty and I've never had an issue. I follow all the instructions that came with the system to a tee though such as not storing the system in a locked vehicle in the middle of summer etc. to avoid any issues. Works great for me.

Old 04-11-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by garyGee
I ALSO have a maxxvolts grid charger and my fan runs constantly! Grid charger broke after a year or so. I completely unwired it and my fan still runs. Did anyone find a solution for this problem? I have a 2006 HCH
Are you saying your car, including the connection between the fan and the 4 wire connector are completely stock?

Did the installation require splicing into the wires, or was there a replacement connector?

What can make a fan run full blast is grounding the PWM wire to the ground wire. IIRC, they are adjacent on the connector. If spliced, check for contact between those two wires.

Old 04-19-2018, 06:17 AM
Enthusiast

When I first installed the maxvolts grid charger, my fan hardly ran any more than before. Each charge gradually caused fan to run more and at higher speed until it was constant. I wired it correctly and completely removed charger harness recently. I will remove panel and check the wiring but I don't think a wire slowly and intermittently became permanently grounded.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:11 PM
Enthusiast

Sounds like a problem with your IMA battery either running hot from bad or reversed cells or an issue with your battery thermal strips sending a high temp reading to the battery computer.

Old 04-19-2018, 05:56 PM

PTC strips were discontinued mid '04. PTC high resistance causes an overheat code, not more fan.

Quick Reply: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands