HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003Ė2005

IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Old 11-09-2018, 03:14 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Fan Runs Constantly after Grid Charger Install

Originally Posted by tsi91at View Post
So, if the key had been turned on and people cannot follow instructions any idea what could have happened? Fed voltage to computer etc? There has to be a reason that warning was issued.
Yeah, from what I gather, turning the car on while it's charging confuses the battery because it gets two conflicting signals, one from the car's computer, another from the grid charger, and that breaks a bunch of stuff. These cars aren't originally designed to be grid charged, so the system is more delicate than an actual plug-in hybrid vehicle.

Old 04-07-2019, 07:08 PM
Enthusiast

Hi,
I just bought HCH 2007 only 53k miles driven and last serviced from honda at 50k miles. Everything is good so far. It gave me 53.6mpg (uk) on highway. Auto stop and battery looks perfect. The only issue Iím facing is that the fan runs constantly on high speed. Starts when I switch on and goes off after few seconds of switching off the engine. I have no idea about the grid chargers on anything. I donít even know the history of the car related to grid charging. Hybrid batteries work looks OK to me. Did anybody find the solution of this problem?

TIA
Saad

Old 04-10-2019, 01:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Saad View Post
Hi,
I just bought HCH 2007 only 53k miles driven and last serviced from honda at 50k miles. Everything is good so far. It gave me 53.6mpg (uk) on highway. Auto stop and battery looks perfect. The only issue Iím facing is that the fan runs constantly on high speed. Starts when I switch on and goes off after few seconds of switching off the engine. I have no idea about the grid chargers on anything. I donít even know the history of the car related to grid charging. Hybrid batteries work looks OK to me. Did anybody find the solution of this problem?
On the HCH I shorting the PWM control line to ground would do that. Assuming the HCH II is similar one of these may be the case:

1. In the cable that line is shorted to ground.
2. The controller is broken and holding that line low.

More complex failure modes are possible. For instance, the controller may think your battery is very hot and so has cranked the fan all the way up to cool it.

If it were my car I would try to get a probe onto the PWM wire to see what is happening. If while the car is off there is no resistance from the PWM wire to ground then it is probably a short. If you are lucky it will be in the little stub of cable that plugs in the fan. Otherwise it is in a longer cable and I don't know where that one goes in your car.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:12 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Your initial assumption is correct.