HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

IMA Only Light....any suggestions?

Old 04-12-2011, 04:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default IMA Only Light....any suggestions?

Hi folks...

I have a 2003 HCH that I purchased a few months ago. I purchased it knowing that the IMA was bad and got a pretty good deal on it. $5000 for a car with only 85,000 miles. When I got it, it had a check engine light with a 1449 and 1602 (I think).

I got a replacement (used) IMA and popped it in. When I did, because the 12v was disconnected, the charge on the IMA read nothing, however the check engine and IMA were out and there were no codes. I idled it for about 20 - 30 minutes until it had 3 bars. Drove about 15 miles and got a full charge.

The next time I started it, the IMA was back. However, there are no codes and the car drives/autostops/charges/assists as it should. Also, I get exactly the mileage that it is supposed to get (41 mpg give or take a half mile a gallon). This leads me to believe there is nothing wrong with the IMA itself.

I do have a thud sound from the right front...sounds like a ball joint...going to check that this weekend. Also, when I am driving at speed (say 50+) and quickly let off the gas so that the charge would jump to all the green bars lit, I will get a sudden deceleration in the car....similar to a downshift in a manual at that speed, but it only last a second and then the regenerative charging seems to work fine.

It is this "lunging" on deceleration that is making me think that there is a relay or fuse or something that is not "required" for the IMA system to function, but that will trigger an IMA light that might be out. There are no codes that register when checking them.

Lastly, I tried replacing the 12v, as I have read that this can cause the IMA to light by itself (no CEL). When I replaced it, the IMA light did go out for the first 15 miles or so and then it came back on. Again, with no CEL and no codes.

Anyone have any suggestions about what to look at? I am comfortable working around cars, but just not familiar with the components involved with the hybrid system.

TIA
Matthew

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: IMA Only Light....any suggestions?

It is possible that one of the Catalytic converter sensors is bad or even the Cat itself? Is your car a M/T or CVT model? If CVT you may want to change fluid. Just drain 3 qts. and replace thru the dip stick hole. This model require that the EGR valve needed cleaning a about 80 to 100,000 miles. Do a search on this. H

Old 04-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Active Enthusiast

My dealer told me that just driving the car will not thoroughly charge the battery. They said to park it and let the engine rev to at least 3500 rpm for 5 minutes. They said it wastes gas but it the only way to do it. You may want to try it.
You may also want to try cleaning your EGR valve. That stopped the surging in my car.

Last edited by cb450sc; 04-22-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

Harold,

Thanks. I didn't mention it, but it is a CVT. I did replace the fluid when I got it and that corrected a "slipping" issue that I was having. Per your suggestion, I pulled the EGR and cleaned it. It wasn't too bad, but could use a cleaning. Cleaned it up and the surging issue seems to have been reduced, but it is still there sometimes.

cb450sc,

Thanks for the suggestion, I will have to give that a try tonight.

After finally getting around to getting the wheel locks that were on it off (didn't get the key when I bought it), I was able to get it up on a jack and check the ball joints (was thinking they were the source of the clunking sound in the right front that I was hearing when going over bumps), but they seem fine. Thinking now that the strut on the right front is bad. Going to replace the front struts in the next couple of weekends to see if that issue gets resolved.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast

Oh...one other thing I noticed in the last couple of months. Several times in the last 1000 or 2000 miles, the SRS light has come on, only to almost immediately go out. Typically, it is only on for a few seconds....minute at the absolute longest and it will flicker a few times and then go out and I don't see it again for a few weeks.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:08 PM
Think green.

If I remember correctly, when I first brought my car home after buying it (used), the SRS light went on intermittently. I took it back to the dealer, and they did a computer reset of some sort, and it stopped doing that.

I'm not sure, but I think the SRS light might go on if it detects that you've placed something heavy on the seat, and the seat belt is not clicked in.