HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Just did 130K maintenance, am I missing anything?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 05:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Just did 130K maintenance, am I missing anything?

I just hit 130k miles on my 2004 Civic Hybrid, doing most of the tuning up my self. Just want to see if I am missing anything. So far I have done

Oil change
Transmission oil change
8 new spark plugs
Valve adjustment
New air filter
New cabin air filter
Tire rotation
Check brake pads

Am i missing anything, so far the car is running smooth. Didnt relieze how much a valve adjustment and new plugs would help.

Thanks in advance.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Just did 130K maintenance, am I missing anything?

How much adjustment did your valves need?. Do you have to adjust them hot or cold? You pretty much did everything, coolant and brake fluid change would be good at this mileage.
By the way unless you installed a V8 in your civic, you only need 4 spark plugs.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

I adjusted them cold, but only a couple of valve were on the loose side. I thought it was were then the auto parts guy try to sell me 8 plugs too, but sure enough there are actually 8 plugs in there. 4 on the intake side and 4 on the exhaust side. . I think he got the the normal plugs instead of the iridium plugs too. They were cheaper but I haven't noticed too much a difference (yet).

Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM
Enthusiast

poscivic, I was wrong, sorry for doubting you. I checked my big Honda book and there they were, 8 plugs. I had no idea, I never had to clean them my 06 hch has 86K. Good plugs are worth the price. My IMA battery is starting to go, it's a bit of a battle btw Honda and me, but the P0A7F code don't lie. Honda will end up replacing the battery under warranty. Good luck with your civic

Old 03-06-2012, 07:07 AM
Active Enthusiast

Looks like you covered most of the bases. Agree that a coolant flush may also be a 'nice to do' maintenance item.

I had my 2003 Civic at the dealership for a recall notice and they warned me that my Cabin Air Filter was 'dangerously clogged'. For only $99 they would replace it for me. At the time I didn't even know I had a Cabin Air Filter, but I was pretty sure I could replace it myself. With help from this board, I replaced it in less than 5 minutes for $17. Got to love the dealer!

In reference to the 8 plugs, the engine in these cars is really interesting. They put two plugs at the top of each cylinder to get a better burn. Another interesting enginering feature of the engine is it is a high compression engine (I think 10.5:1) but does not require preimun fuel. I'm not sure how they do that.

Last edited by Neil; 03-06-2012 at 07:12 AM.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

I did not know that either, back in the late 70's I had a Renault Le Car that had a high compression engine. I drove that car all over Mexico for a 3 months trip and high test gas was hard to find, 85 octane made the car ping like hell. I would retard the ignition every time I fuel low octane. Back in the US I got 95 octane once in Texas and the car flew. Right now my Honda civic Hybrid is giving me around 39mpg down from 47 average. Honda will screw us with the IMA battery, we're done for. I'm giving up the battle. I'll end up trading the car for something else. No more hybrid for me. As long as it is low emission that'll be goods enough.