HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Just installed K&N flat on my 1st gen HCH

Old 06-08-2006, 11:05 AM
aha
Active Enthusiast
Default Just installed K&N flat on my 1st gen HCH

I just installed a K&N flat panel for my HCH (part# 33-2338) and let me tell you, it helps improve my acceleration. I did not believe at first so I put the old stock air filter back and even had a friend to try it with or without K&N ( I did not tell him what I did). He was able to notice the difference as well. It's not significant, it doesn't make my car 0-60 under 5 seconds or anything, but it's a difference.

Looking at the design, as usual K&N filtration system is thinner than stock, so the air flows faster. You should do your research, there are so many K&N haters out there, even I was a bit reluctant although I had K&N filter in my previous cars.

Anyway, I just want to share my happy experience so far, the MPG however seems to be the same, may be I still have the right foot joy and drives a bit more aggresive this time.

I got mine from www.autoanything.com for $35.xx + Tax, free shipping. www.ajusa.com also has similar deal on that.
It takes only 2 minutes to replace your air filter, no tools required if you live in the bay area and needs help just holla

Old 06-08-2006, 02:41 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Just installed K&N flat on my 1st gen HCH

I'm anxious to see if you get better MPG.

I may try this.

Old 06-08-2006, 03:17 PM
Wo ai Zheng!

Just the accelleration is a nice addition. We've got some very nutty drivers here in Cow Town, and being able to squirt out of the way would be a welcome addition. Then again, so would a horn loud enough to wake the dead, but one thing at a time

Old 06-08-2006, 03:37 PM
aha
Active Enthusiast

Not sure if you can out-accelerate other cars LOL....HCH is still slow but I feel the throttle is more responsive, how about that ? It's definitely less effort to move the car from a dead stop after I installed my K&N.

MPG improvment is hard to notice I guess....when I first got the card - I got only 42MPG. Then I read the driving tricks and I was able to score 51MPG. Right now, I drive my car without paying too much attention on MPG and I get 46.5 with or without K&N. We'll see though...

Old 06-08-2006, 03:56 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Moved to Gen 1 section...

Old 06-08-2006, 05:04 PM
now Insight, had an HCH

I installed a K&N a week before I made the decision to sell my HCH I. Didn't feel too much of a difference BUT having the ability to never buy another air filter again was a HUGE plus. Cleaning & reoiling them is a bit of a pain though but I usually get over it.

Old 06-09-2006, 01:22 PM
Enthusiast

I'm new to the group and starting to look into some acceleration and mileage enhancements to my 2003 HCH with MT. Aha - it sounds like you just got the filter element. Did you look into a whole cold air intake system? Is anyone aware of one available specifically for the HCH? I'm wondering if a kit for a regular Civic could be modified.

Changing the filter element could make a difference, but adding a cold air intake system (also called a forced-air induction system) would make a much bigger improvement, albeit with the tradeoff of louder intake noise.

I also want to look into a cat-back exhaust system. Does anyone have any information on those?

Dan

Old 06-10-2006, 08:27 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I'll give this a shot. How often do you clean it? One person said eery 6 months, the K&N thing says every 50000k. That's a big difference.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:48 AM
Wo ai Zheng!

bbb: How often you need to clean it depends entirely on what your driving conditions are. My cleaning interval will be shorter than someone who lives in Iowa corn country simply because I drive past an open-air quarry on every commute. However, I won't be cleaning as often as someone who lives in Phoenix, since my airborne dust content is still lower than their's. Best thing to do is just read up and see how they tell you to recognize when it needs cleaned, and just follow that.

Old 06-25-2006, 10:27 AM
aha
Active Enthusiast

OK, normally I get 46.1-46.5 because I just drive the car without hypermiling. After driving for about 1000 miles with K&N, I'm more consistent to hit 47.3-48 - not significant but I still appreciate the acceleration improvement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just installed K&N flat on my 1st gen HCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands