Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   Location of pcv valve? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/location-pcv-valve-31879/)

Thesupersoap33 02-28-2019 01:52 PM

Location of pcv valve?

Couldn't find any definitive answers on here as to the location of the pcv valve on the gen one hybrid or how to get it off. Thanks.

pasadena_commut 03-02-2019 09:44 AM

Re: Location of pcv valve?

Originally Posted by Thesupersoap33 (Post 267529)
Couldn't find any definitive answers on here as to the location of the pcv valve on the gen one hybrid or how to get it off. Thanks.

You are not going to like the answer...

It is on the front side of the motor - under the intake manifold. On page 11-271 under "PCV valve replacement" the first step is "remove the intake manifold". There is a way to test it though without doing that. No, you can't take it out and shake it.

Under PCV valve inspection and test...

Inspect two hoses. The first runs from the air filter box to the crankcase. It is relatively short, around 7 inches or so. The other comes up out of the intake manifold between cylinders 2 and 3, runs all the way to the left of the motor, forward towards the front of the car, then meanders back to the right going back through the intake manifold to the PCV right of the last cylinder. This is very near where the big rubber air intake house goes into the intake manifold. You will need to remove the plastic motor cover to see this longer hose.

The test is, with the car at idle, pinch off the second hose and listen for a clicking sound. If you hear that the PCV is OK.

Edit: on 2nd thought, that is probably backwards for the longer hose. It would make more sense for the PCV valve to be the end in the center of the motor, where most PCV valves are located, and the right/front end of the hose is close to the throttle body, which is also where most PCV valve hoses plug in.

pasadena_commut 03-03-2019 08:56 AM

Re: Location of pcv valve?

You know, if the PCV valve fails stuck open one could possibly splice a 2nd PCV valve from another type of car into that hose somewhere. (At least temporarily.) There are "inline" PCV valves which are designed to have a hose on each side. The plastic engine cover might not fit on though. If the valve fails closed, well, get out the socket wrenches.