HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

My transmission woes updates

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 09:11 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default My transmission woes updates

Sorry guys this is a long one.

So a recap of my 04 HCH with all its transmission problems. I brought it certified used from Honda at 60k on May 2009. This Certified used Honda has a 100k mileage, but I can not remember the terms. I was talking into the "extended" warranty from the finance dealer for an additional 48k miles. Which should have covered me until 114,000 miles.

1st problem @ 101k miles Dec 2010
Problem: buzzing noise
Resulted: new rebuild transmission

You can hear it here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2LIXRDFmRo. I thought this was normal for a "hybrid" car since this was my first hybrid. I have always took it Honda for oils changes, at about 101k the tech mention to me that there was a weird buzzing in my transmission and they should look at it. Missed the Honda warranty by 1k miles and they would NOT cover the repairs. I then told them oh its ok I have the extended warranty, which they would not find in there records! Luckily I'm a packrat and save everything digitally, so I show the tech on my iPhone and was able to print him a copy for his records. He said Honda will not repair transmission they will only replace, but the warranty company will not pay to replacement only pay for repair. I said fine, as long as it gets fixed I'm OK with. They gave me a loaner car, and I was on my way. They say they know a shop that they take hybrid too all the time. But I guess this shop messed up the transmission even more after 3 months, yes THREE months with my car, Honda decided to replace the transmission with a rebuild one. I get it back, no buzzing! yes fixed. with 3 years or 30k mileage warranty to boot. So that should give me warranty up too 137,00 miles.

2nd problem @ 132,808 miles March 2012
Problem: Juddering
Result: Replacement Start clutch

With about 5k left on my warranty, I bring my HCH to Honda thinking no problem, I still have warranty. Once I told the tech there was juddering he already knew what need to be replaced, the start clutch. At the time he said oh no problem, you have the 3years/36k warranty. I walk away happy, great going to get fixed for free. Couple of days later I get a call from Honda, sorry we can't not fix your start clutch under warranty, you will need to pay $1,600 for it. Confused I asked why, their reason the judder recall is up to 100k miles and I was out of the "Service window" even more confused I asked to talk to the manager to plead my case. Service advisor, say before we go that route let me see what I could do. couple of more back and forth with them they finally decide to replace Start Clutch.

3rd problem @ 134,362 April 2012
Problem: Oil Leak
Result: Rear main seal replacement

This time was easy, brought car back say hey there is a oil leak that wasn't there before. Honda replies with OK we will take care of it, here is a loaner car. get car back a week later but........

4th problem @ 134,370 April 2012
Problem: Juddering (AGAIN!!!)
Result: TDB

After getting my my car back from Honda for the oil leak problem, I drive it off the lots and it seems to drive fine, until it starts to warm up and I notice the juddering is back! I make a U-turn and drive it back to Honda, and tell them the judder is back. Tech doesn't believe me and wants to take a ride. Barely even go 2 blocks he said OK, turn around here an go back to dealer. He goes over to take to services advisor and give me the loaner car again. This say he says, we will probably have to dispute this with Honda Corp again.. SIGH.. so here I wait....

Old 04-06-2012, 07:30 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: My transmission woes updates

4th problem @ 134,370 April 2012
Problem: Juddering (AGAIN!!!)
Result: Drive side motor mount

Well Honda called and said they got on the horn with Honda tech support. Didn't even know this existed. Honda tech said sounds like bad driver side motor mount. I was a cautious but decided to trust them since they should know what they are talking about. They said if I pay for the part they cover the labor, drive side mount was about 150. I asked since you at it and you do the other mount too. He said sure, part was 70 bucks. Got my car back today, and so far so good. no leak, no judder. I hope this got it all.

so recap, I got newly rebuild transmission, start clutch, rear main seal, driver/pass side motor mount all for about $220 bucks!! Thank you Honda! This is what I call taking care of your customers.

Last edited by poscivic; 04-06-2012 at 07:36 PM.