HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

OMG - Just talked to the dealer -

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 09:09 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default OMG - Just talked to the dealer -

I had my 2003 HCH into the dealer to have multiple recalls performed (Low Beams, Airbag inflator, O2 threshold re-calibrated) and he noticed my check engine light for bad cats and the IMA light. The price for the IMA battery was bad (but expected) $3,700, but the price for the for the cats, was a bargain at only $3,200. SERIOUSLY????

The CVT starter clutch is also bad (but the dealer didn't catch that), and I already had a rough idea on the price for the other repairs so I never really considered repairing anything on the car. I think the price for a new CVT is about $4,700. I was just amused to hear the dealer quote the prices - even he couldn't say the numbers without laughing.

That being said, the engine is still as quiet and reliable as the day it drove off the showroom floor. It has 165k miles on it, and I'm comfortable enough with it to take it on a 200 mile trip this weekend. The state inspection sticker is good until August, but I am going to try to sell it/trade it in next month.

I bought it in 2006 for $12k with 40k miles on it. Kind of funny that it needs almost $12k in repairs now. Talk about a disposable car. Right at the 10 year mark too.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OMG - Just talked to the dealer -

Originally Posted by Neil
but the price for the for the cats, was a bargain at only $3,200. SERIOUSLY????
Especially since most of the "failed" cats were due to a software glitch and there was not anything actually wrong with the cats. There was an upgrade to the cars firmware (I do not recall which part, probably the engine management unit and not the IMA) that magically "fixed" most broken cats. Google for it.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:41 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: OMG - Just talked to the dealer -

Yes, I was somewhat hoping the Software update that I had them do would 'fix' the p1420 code that I am getting. Regardless, the car is worthless. I'll probably end up selling it for scrap. Not sure if a dealer will give me anything for it on trade in.