HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Running with no fuel

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 07:52 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Running with no fuel

I didn't think it would run at all without the gasoline motor.

Old 06-07-2008, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Running with no fuel

I was recently on a long run from Florida to Pennsylvania, I did not run out of fuel on purpose, but did push my luck just a little too much and just as I was getting off an exit ramp to buy fuel I ran out. I was tried restarting but it wouldn't start so being at the top of the ramp I coasted to the bottom in hopes that I would have enough momentum to get to the station. No luck, fricking red light at the bottom of the ramp and two cars in front of me. Came to a complete stop, with my flashers on and figured I would try to restart when the light changed, make it across the four lanes, and pull into the gas station. It would be less than 2 city blocks and I was hoping that coming down the ramp would have jostled some fuel around. Nope that was not the case. The light turned green, I turned the ignition and no sound of engine but I could hear the electric motor so for giggles I pushed the accelerator ever so slightly and I started to move forward with the whir of the electric motor. I never went over 5-10 miles per hour and didn't want to push it hard but it got me across and up into the gas station where I pulled into the pumps and shut her down. I pumped 13.4 gallons into a 13.2 gallon tank. I did not top it off just let it stop where it did after pumping on the lowest setting, which is how I always tank up. I did have a check engine light on, which seemed to make sense and it reset itself shortly after. I did have a full SOC charge when I pulled off the interstate and it was almost down to half when I restarted the engine after fueling up. People can tell me that it can't be done and I agree that it probably should not be done, but it will do it.