HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Secondary battery? Huh?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Enthusiast
Default Secondary battery? Huh?

I was speaking with an individual who claimed to know HCH's and I told him my 2003 HCH battery pack is failing. He asked if I had replaced the secondary battery and I said absolutely. I assumed he meant the 12v but it eventually came out that he did not mean the 12v at all and said there is a secondary battery under the engine.

I said that I had never heard of this battery and he said it's there and if you replace it with an aftermarket one it will cause issues. He said I should try replacing it. I verified once again that he did not mean the 12v and he confirmed.

Ummmmmm. WTF is happening? Is this a super secret battery that no one ever mentions or is my Google search faulty? Or he could be referring to something else "under the engine?" Or maybe newer generations of the HCH?

I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt because he was *so* confident about it and claimed to work for a Honda dealership.

So is he correct and I've learned something new or am I correct and there was a screw loose somewhere?

Thanks!

Old 06-04-2019, 05:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Secondary battery? Huh?

Originally Posted by dkfuel
I was speaking with an individual who claimed to know HCH's and I told him my 2003 HCH battery pack is failing. He asked if I had replaced the secondary battery and I said absolutely. I assumed he meant the 12v but it eventually came out that he did not mean the 12v at all and said there is a secondary battery under the engine.!
There is no such battery. If a NiMH battery was placed under the engine the heat from the motor would kill it in very short order.

So "claimed to know" is the key phrase in your post.

Old 06-04-2019, 06:48 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

"individual" is an idiot.

Old 06-04-2019, 08:39 PM
Enthusiast

Hah! Thought so but wanted to be sure. I was going to just let it go but thought I'd check anyway.