HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Shudder from stop

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 04:18 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Shudder from stop

My HCH has a momentary shudder when I start off , say from a stop light, its more pronounce the harder I get on the gas , but it quickly passes...anybody got a clue...many thanks

Old 07-11-2012, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Shudder from stop

There was a thread just about this. check jerky transmission thread
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...mission-27917/

Old 07-11-2012, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Doh!!!!!!! I saw that earlier and forgot to read it, many thanks......

Old 07-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Enthusiast

The starter clutch in the automatic transmission needs to be replaced.
You need to take it to the dealer. It may be covered under honda's extended warrenty.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:10 AM
Enthusiast

You probably already have too many miles for it to still be covered. The problem is the start clutches in the tranny. Honda has reformulated the CVT tranny fluid since the release of the HCH1 to try and prevent the clutch packs from causing this. If you replace your tranny fluid with the new fluid, it will help for a while. Eventually, you will need to have the start clutch pack replaced.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldag98
You probably already have too many miles for it to still be covered. The problem is the start clutches in the tranny. Honda has reformulated the CVT tranny fluid since the release of the HCH1 to try and prevent the clutch packs from causing this. If you replace your tranny fluid with the new fluid, it will help for a while. Eventually, you will need to have the start clutch pack replaced.
The car was a gift from my Sister , it was a hail damaged salvage....so Im not really out any money....I had hoped she bought the 100k warranty but no....I will change the fluid , but have no intention of doing the 3 flush as stated in manual..truth be told I live within walking distance of a honda dealer , but would rather do as much maintenance as I can myself...thanks for the replies..

Old 08-01-2012, 07:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Just got off the phone with dealer, and there is an extended warranty on the tranny problem 7 years or 100k miles which ever come first, my car only has 63k but maybe past the 7 years....covers the clutch kit , fluids and in some instances the belt..??? Just an FYI

Added...
I got a buddy that works in parts...he printed all the warranty/recall concerning my car and hand delivered it to Service...have an appointment in the Morning to leave the car and have all warranty work performed free of charge....I will post up later....

Last edited by philwford; 08-01-2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Congrats on the repair! Are they actually replacing or burnishing the clutch?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by poscivic
Congrats on the repair! Are they actually replacing or burnishing the clutch?
You got a good point, earlier in the day I would have said replacement, but not so sure now..apparently it depends on how severe the shudder as to whether they burnish or put the plate kit in...my hope is my buddy has enough input that they do the kit...but I will take whatever I can get....my 7 years ends 8/22/12....

Old 08-02-2012, 07:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Hopefully they replace rather then burnish. They tried to burnish on mine and it didn't take thankfully so they have to do a replace. I have heard of stories on here that burnishing worked but come back after 3 months. To get the start clutched replaced it requires removal of the transmission, I think Honda would charge $4,000 and most of that is in labor, the part is only cost couple of hundred bucks. Good luck. Keep us updated.

Quick Reply: Shudder from stop

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands