HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Sold my 2005 HCH-I yesterday - post-mortem analysis

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 12:17 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Sold my 2005 HCH-I yesterday - post-mortem analysis

Haven't been on this forum for about 6 years I guess, nice to check back in and find you guys still here. Thought I would post my thoughts as a new ex-hybrid owner, and some other random thoughts as forum posters like to do.

I kept the HCH-I for 102K miles and 7.5 years.

The HCH hybrid battery died at 96k miles, commuting over 17 worked the poor battery pretty hard so it died a bit early.

Cost me $3k to fix. Here is how the numbers break down:

Overall the car saved ~$5k in gas over my previous 30 mpg hwy car (my beloved 2000 Mazda 3 hatchback), but I lost $3k of that to replacing the battery, and it cost $2k more to buy in the first place.

So I broke even on the hybrid, but am irked the battery died. The resale value was pretty low too, pretty sure I would have fared better with another Mazda 3.

I also had to drive a poorly performing car whose seats wouldn't even fold down, thinking I was going to save money. But I didn't save squat, not one dime (compared to the 30 mpg hwy car that cost $2k less than the HCH-I).

So hybrids have left kind of a bad taste in my mouth at this point.

Soo... My next car is a 2012 Mazda 3 hatchback skyactiv non-hybrid that gets about 40 mpg on the hwy (more if you hyper-mile), but I won't be commuting in such a low mpg vehicle (I am spoiled now aren't I)? It doesn't have auto-stop, but FAS still works, even on regular cars, you just have to do it sparingly so as not to wear out the starter.

The Mazda 3's cost to run per mile (counting replacing a hybrid battery at around 100 miles is nearly the same as a 50 mpg hybrid of equivalent price), and is an all-around better vehicle if you like driver's cars (this is kind of an understatement actually).

I have been a Mazda fan for years, just been waiting for them to get into the high MPG business. The car before the HCH-I was a Mazda 3, so I am home again. I am on record here as posting that my dream car would be a high-mpg Mazda 3 hatchback. And 7 years later my dream-car now sits in my garage.

The big change for me however is:

I took up motorcycle riding two years ago to get into the carpool lane and to lane split (after my yellow sticker on the HCH-I expired). No range anxiety there either, unlike the leaf fans who share the carpool lane with me.

I bought the highest mpg motorcycle that could commute adequately (BMW G650GS), so my greenhybrid instincts are still active to some degree. And yes I FAS at long stoplights on the bike. My best tank is 68 mpg, although I average 60 mpg on the commute, and I go ~70 mph on the hwy.

My weekly gas expense is now ~$25 for about 300 miles of riding/driving per week.

If I survive commuting on a moto, I may post again in a few years. Later guys.

Old 05-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Think green.
Default Re: Sold my 2005 HCH-I yesterday - post-mortem analysis

The thing that confuses me is, according to your profile its says you live in CA. Maybe you moved out of state, I don't know, but in CA shouldn't your battery still have been under warranty?

I agree the Mazda is a great car; we have an older one in our family too.

Be safe on that motorcycle. Best of luck with the new vehicles.

Old 05-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Mazda are great cars but a Mazda may have cost as much to repair as your HCH1 during that time, possible more. We will never know!!! H

Old 05-29-2012, 09:04 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Harold
Mazda are great cars but a Mazda may have cost as much to repair as your HCH1 during that time, possible more. We will never know!!! H
Probably not. It wouldn't cost that much to replace (with used parts) either the motor or the transmission (or maybe even both if done together), and the odds of blowing either of those are miniscule. Conversely the odds of needing a battery replacement are 100%, and the odds of needing a transmission replacement, or at least a very major service (start clutch) on the HCH may not be 100%, but it is certainly north of 90%.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Enthusiast

Diverisification. Bunker mentality. $10.00/gal gas. As I considered the future of my "fleet" needs, these were the driving forces in my decision to sell my 1992 Supra (25mpg) for a 2005 HCH and my 2007 Camry XLS (32 MPG) for a 2010 Prius. IF gas stays below, say, $3.00 a gallon, then yes i expect to at least break even. The cost of commuting 300 miles a week goes up exponetially from 3- to 5- to $10.00 a gallon, and that is where the rubber meets the road!