HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

SRS Light - Easy Fix after diagnosis - DTC Codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default SRS Light - Easy Fix after diagnosis - DTC Codes

I had the SRS light come on a few weeks ago. I found a video on Youtube showing how to reset the light and it stayed off for a little while. Several weeks ago it came back on, would not reset. I searched Youtube again for how to pull the Diagnostic code and found this great video (
). My code was a 4-2, or "Increased resistance in right side seat belt tensioner" from the DTC list (below). I pulled the trim piece covering the lower interior 'B' pillar so I could see the Belt tensioner and saw that the Airbag wires were pinched and pulled at a 90 degree angle. I simply unpluged the Air Bag wiring harness (yellow connection), blew on it for good luck, pushed the wires further into the connector, rerouted the wiring so it was not pinched or at an extreme angle, and plugged it back in. This time I was able to reset the light and it has been off for 2 weeks (crossing my fingers).

It's amazing that we are able to do with just a paper clip! I can only imagine how much the dealer would have charged to do this.

DTC, Detection Item
1-1 Open in driver's airbag inflator
1-2 Increased resistance in driver's airbag inflator
1-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in driver's airbag inflator
1-4 Short to power in driver's airbag inflator
1-5 Short to ground in driver's airbag inflator
2-1 Open in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-2 Increased resistance in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-4 Short to power in front passenger's airbag inflator
2-5 Short to ground in front passenger's airbag inflator
3-1 Open in left side seat belt tensioner
3-2 Increased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
3-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
3-4 Short to power in left side seat belt tensioner
3-5 Short to ground in left side seat belt tensioner
4-1 Open in right side seat belt tensioner
4-2 Increased resistance in right side seat belt tensioner
4-3 Short to another wire or decreased resistance in left side seat belt tensioner
4-4 Short to power in left side seat belt tensioner
4-5 Short to ground in left side seat belt tensioner
5-1, 5-2, 5-3 (NEC), 5-4, 5-5 (NEC) Internal failure of SRS unit
6-1 (NEC), 6-2 (NEC), 6-3 (NEC), 6-4 Internal failure of SRS unit
7-1, 7-2, 7-3 Internal failure of SRS unit
8-1, 8-2, 8-3, 8-4, 8-5, 8-6 Internal failure of SRS unit
NOTE: Before troubleshooting DTCs 5-1 through 8-6, check battery/system voltage. If voltage is low, repair the charging system before troubleshooting the SRS system.
9-1 Internal failure of the SRS unit. If intermittent, could mean internal failure of the unit or a faulty indicator light circuit. Refer to Troubleshooting Intermittent Failures (see page 23-38).
9-2 Internal failure of the SRS unit. If intermittent, could mean internal failure of the power supply (VB line). Refer to Troubleshooting Intermittent Failures
9-6 Faulty left front sensor
9-7 Faulty right front sensor
10-1 Seat belt tensioners (and airbag(s)) deployed

Old 03-26-2013, 07:50 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SRS Light - Easy Fix after diagnosis - DTC Codes

Thanks for posting thing. I have had a SRS light my dash for quite some time now with code 3-1. I just have to reset it every couple of months. This video just reminded me to do it. The light should be doing it, but I was so used to it being there now.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: SRS Light - Easy Fix after diagnosis - DTC Codes

Originally Posted by poscivic
Thanks for posting thing. I have had a SRS light my dash for quite some time now with code 3-1. I just have to reset it every couple of months. This video just reminded me to do it. The light should be doing it, but I was so used to it being there now.
Have you pulled the trim off of the driver side 'B' pillar to see if the wiring harness for the belt tensioner is loose? It is probably just a loose wire that is intermittently throwing a code. Easy fix.