HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Strut replacment suggestions paried with OEM Springs?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 07:43 PM
Enthusiast
Default Strut replacment suggestions paried with OEM Springs?

HI Everyone,

Just bought a USED 2003 Manual Civic Hybrid. I need to replace the struts on it as it has about 130k, need some suggestions that would work with the OEM springs?

I usually go with Tokico HP Blues in my previous car.

Let me know all suggestions are welcome

Thanks!

Old 06-12-2015, 09:18 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Strut replacment suggestions paried with OEM Springs?

I have no recommendations except, I would try to replace with struts that have similar performance characteristics. "Heavy duty" type struts have resulted in a harsh ride in past replacements on old Hondas and Toyotas.

I replace struts based on ride, handling, alignment and tire wear considerations - not on an arbitrary mileage amount.

Our 2X HCH2 have 140K and 215K miles - both are on their original struts. There is no bounce, ride, alignment or adverse wear conditions that would suggest I need to replace them.

Good luck!

Steve

Old 06-20-2015, 11:41 PM
Enthusiast

Thank you for the tips, I really do not like the OEM shocks.

OEM thru KYBs seem to be the only option available so far, I'm wondering why the bilsteins dont make shocks for the Hybrid and every other trim model for the HCHI year. I am about to take the risk and try the bilsteins out

Old 06-25-2015, 05:24 PM
Enthusiast

I have two gen 1 both 130k and they drive like kids go carts with the oem struts. I did the 30 percent off advance auto parts buy on line then pick up local and got
MonroeOESpectrum Strut
Part No 71340
for one car and Monroe something else for the second car. They are struts front and back and the oem springs worked fine on both. The difference is like night and day. The second car came from a mishmash of ebay for the right, amazon for the front left and ebay for the two rears that are the same. total was 200 for the second car 300 for the first all monroes.

Old 06-26-2015, 12:12 AM
Enthusiast

Thanks for your insight!

I am considering the Monroes but I may sell my kidneys and fork up the $$$ for some Bilsteins.

I assume since the suspension setup is pretty much the same on a Civic Regular to a Hybrid other than Electric Power steering and others as indicated here: http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/ar...=2002020643439

Some guy on the civic forums has done it with a non hybrid 03 Civic:

http://www.civicforums.com/forums/44...very-long.html

Old 06-26-2015, 03:37 AM
Enthusiast

Just my thoughts worth what you paid for them, get the monroes. The struts are like the size of my foot, very small and cheasy. you can use a harbor freight spring tool and a ratchet and do it by hand. These hybrids are not sports cars and if you drive them like sports cars your mileage will tank defeating the purpose. The monroes in my opinion are better than stock, especially worn out stock but the car is still a little car and will feel like it. My Cadillac died recently, can you tell I miss it? Use the money like I did for a new gps with Bluetooth, or a dashcam, or get a better set of speakers. Spread the wealth throughout the car.
BTW, the kids struts were bouncing like a rabbit when he drove off. It was funny to watch. I never saw that before on a car except in a tv commercial. Stocks are only good for 125k imo.