Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   HCH I-Specific Discussions (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/)
-   -   TCM transmission control module 05 HCH (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/hch-i-specific-discussions-50/tcm-transmission-control-module-05-hch-31837/)

ptb 01-31-2019 02:50 PM

TCM transmission control module 05 HCH

2005 HCH tranny was slipping and yesterday when I stepped on the gas, there was no engagement whatsoever.
wondering if this could be as simple as replacing the TCM??

S Keith 01-31-2019 08:22 PM

Re: TCM transmission control module 05 HCH

Unlikely. HCH CVT is a belt drive. Zero engagement generally means broken belt, clutch failure, or extremely low CVT fluid. A failed TCM would produce error codes.

ptb 01-31-2019 09:53 PM

thanks

pasadena_commut 02-01-2019 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by S Keith (Post 267310)
Unlikely. HCH CVT is a belt drive. Zero engagement generally means broken belt, clutch failure, or extremely low CVT fluid. A failed TCM would produce error codes.

The splines on the end of the shaft can strip too, at which point the only gear is Neutral. That probably isn't the case here though because the car was said to be slipping, and with the splines it is all or nothing. Our 2003 had a couple of episodes where it felt like a clutch was not engaging properly (lots of slippage). Turning the car off and on fixed it both times so the working hypothesis was that it was either a software glitch or a bit of junk floating around in the transmission which had landed in a bad place, for instance, keeping some valve from closing fully. I don't think a normal OBD2 reader will show you transmission codes, but maybe the blink codes will show something useful?

ptb 02-01-2019 09:09 PM

1) going like 30-40mph and let off the gas and there would be a slip in the transmission
2) later the Check Engine Light came on
3) then step on gas and no power what-so-ever
4) AAA tow to shop
5) shop to read code
6) shop to put shorter serpentine belt to bypass AC compressor......this is a separate issue as the shaft on the compressor was not straight and clutch was not engaging
7) plan was to use this dead vehicle basically as a battery charger for the good IMA battery that is already installed in the car
8) retirement community will not allow dead car to be stored in garage ,,,,rules
9) would like to keep this good IMA battery, but don't know how to store it properly outside the car.

S Keith 02-01-2019 09:25 PM

Purchase:
  • LPC-100-500 LED PSU
  • 1N4007 or equivalent diode.
Wire diode in line on positive lead with stripe away from PSU.
Fashion AC plug for PSU input.

Remove battery from car.
Put on shelf.

Prior to installation:
  • Attach PSU
  • Setup a fan to blow through pack (you should be able to feel at least a trickle of air coming through the pack)
  • Energize PSU
  • Turn pack master switch on
  • let it run for 18 hours or until the air coming out of the pack is > 95°F (assuming ambient is no higher than about 75°F)
  • Turn pack master switch off
  • De-energize PSU
  • Detach PSU from battery
Install pack in car.
Allow car to idle for 5 minutes before you attempt to drive.
On your first drive, try to avoid regenerative braking by putting the car in "N" when coming to a stop (BEFORE hitting the brakes or using engine braking).
Once you see the SoC gauge move up or down, you may drive normally.

ptb 02-01-2019 09:33 PM

remove IMA from car
remove computer unit from car
put both on shelf

should they be vacuum sealed or something like that ??

S Keith 02-01-2019 09:42 PM

Battery lives its life NOT vacuum sealed in the car. No need to change that.
Place a plastic trashbag over the pack to protect from dust if you really want to.
No need to take computer out unless you just want to.

ptb 02-01-2019 09:51 PM

put IMA & computer on shelf with plastic trashbag covering them
30 days later - do the prior to installation steps
put both back on shelf
30 days later - do the prior to installation steps
put both back on shelf
ima light comes on from vehicle
then proceed with prior install steps and install pack in car

S Keith 02-01-2019 09:54 PM

No. Steps exactly as I laid out. Different rules when pack is out of car. Packs can actually benefit from extended self-discharge; however, that creates big problems when pack is in car. When you can charge it manually, no need to do it more than once - prior to installation.

Again, computer not necessary, but useful as a spare.