HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Is there a extended warranty for 2003 HCH battery?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Is there a extended warranty for 2003 HCH battery?

So, I bought an '03 just recently, car has 136K. I drive the thing no more than 2 weeks, and the IMA and check engine light comes on. I take it in, and the dealer gives me the code 1449, I think that the technical term is "screwed". I've chatted with Honda USA, I don't think I'll get any satisfaction there, though I hope so. I agree with the rest of the posters, who would buy a high milage hybrid if you have a $4K bill coming due??

BTW, before I bought this car, I called Honda USA, and asked the specific question, "The only thing I'm worried about is replacing the IMA battery". The guy said "If that happens, just call us and we'll work something out". It appears as though what will be worked out is that I've overpaid for a non-hybrid hybrid.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Tofu+hybrd= crazy fun!

I'm sorry that that happend to you man.

Although, I would fight with honda for a little while, and see if they can come to a conclusion. What state do you live in btw?

Also, IMO, you can drive with a failed battery. I drove with mine that way for almost a month, honestly, and got 45 mpg the whole time.

Yes, the battery power discharged faster than the new battery, but the car still worked fine. I would drive it until you hear something back from honda.

GL, and keep us updated!

Last edited by carbnjunkie; 02-05-2008 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:27 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rkr
I'm pretty sure Honda has extended the hybrid component warranty up to 100K from 80K (outside of CA). I get mine serviced in Santa Fe as well and they informed me of that. You might ask. But maybe it's too late?
Was that at Premier? I get mine serviced at Perfection in Abq. Have you heard any stories about it down here?

Old 02-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Enthusiast

Ok, here is the latest, but it's not much. I'm STILL waiting to hear back from American Honda. I don't know if it's a good or bad sign that it's been a week and I haven't heard anything.

So, I've been doing a lot of research on this problem, which isn't common, but not too rare either. I've come across a couple of web pages that should be of interest to everyone on this thread.

http://www.hybridcars.com/economics/hidden-costs.html

The first is a general article regarding replacement costs, which were predicted to drop (in another article), but sure haven't. The next page shows a few mechanics around the country that are starting to repair....vs. replace the hybrid batteries.

http://www.auto-careers.org/local_hybrid_shops.html

So, let me know what you think. It certainly makes sense to replace one or two bad cells (or fix battery connections) instead of replacing the entire pack. The civic hybrid has 120 cells..

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 02-11-2008, 01:14 PM
Think green.

I guess the length of the warranty on the IMA system/battery depends upon which state you live in (CA having the longest-warranty as far as I know).
I would call Honda back, and find out if they are still considering your situation, or if they just forgot to call you back.
Thanks for those links, I used to have the link to the hybrid shops/qualified tech website, and lost it. You wouldn't happen to live near any of those shops, do you? They might be worth looking into if you don't get a reasonable answer from Honda.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Enthusiast

I AM still waiting to hear back from American Honda.

I live about an hour away from one of the shops in PA. It's actually on my way when I visit my father, so I actually could take it there, and I plan to if American Honda doesn't give me some decent satisfaction. I really wanted a hybrid, and still do. But I'll have trouble with the whole idea if I have repairs like $4-5K somewhere over 100K. I'd think that a lot of hybrid owners out there would as well. I certainly understand normal wear and tear, but that's way too much.

Jeff

Old 02-12-2008, 11:00 AM
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,
I just took in my 2003 HCH because my IMA and check engine light came on. I bought my HCH with 56,000 miles on it and it now has 92,000 miles. I was told that the problem was indeed the Hybrid Battery and was quoted $3800.00 to replace it. My husband and I do NOT have the money to repair it, but the dealer asked me to leave it with them and that they will check into Honda Goodwill Assistance to see if they will cover all or part of it.

In the two years we've had it, we've also had to replace the CVT transmission. Now, granted the cost was covered by the Honda Certified Used Car Warranty, but the transmission coupled with this battery problem has made the benefits of owning a hybrid look small next to all of the grief and heartache that we've had to endure. I hope that Honda comes through for us because quite frankly we are still upside down in it. I will keep you all posted and let you know what happens with our case. It does give us a little hope to see that Honda has paid for some batteries that have been out of warranty.

This will be the LAST hybrid we own until we are certain that the technology has been improved.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:07 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Everyone,
I just took in my 2003 HCH because my IMA and check engine light came on. I bought my HCH with 56,000 miles on it and it now has 92,000 miles. I was told that the problem was indeed the Hybrid Battery and was quoted $3800.00 to replace it. My husband and I do NOT have the money to repair it, but the dealer asked me to leave it with them and that they will check into Honda Goodwill Assistance to see if they will cover all or part of it.

In the two years we've had it, we've also had to replace the CVT transmission. Now, granted the cost was covered by the Honda Certified Used Car Warranty, but the transmission coupled with this battery problem has made the benefits of owning a hybrid look small next to all of the grief and heartache that we've had to endure. I hope that Honda comes through for us because quite frankly we are still upside down in it. I will keep you all posted and let you know what happens with our case. It does give us a little hope to see that Honda has paid for some batteries that have been out of warranty.

This will be the LAST hybrid we own until we are certain that the technology has been improved.

Yes, please let us know what happens. Did you buy your hybrid from a dealer or privately.

Also, which state do you live in, If I may ask?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
Enthusiast

Hi Jeff,
I bought it at a Honda Dealership in Arlington, Texas. I brought it today to another Honda dealership in the area because the customer service in Arlington stinks!!

I just got a call from the service advisor letting me know that the decision maker is in meetings and they most likely won't have an answer until morning. So.... keep your fingers crossed for me, please. I guess that I will expect the worst, but hope for the best.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Good luck, and let us know one way or the other. I read an older article in which they stated that the price of batteries would likely be down in the $1000 range soon. That's certainly not come to pass yet, and something like that, I think, would be a decent compromise.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Is there a extended warranty for 2003 HCH battery?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands