HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

things needed to reconditioned 03-05 civic hybrid battery cells

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:54 PM
Enthusiast
Default things needed to reconditioned 03-05 civic hybrid battery cells

hello I'm on a manhunt to restore a 04-05 civic hybrid sedan, non running $1000 04-05 civic hybrid and planning on buying a ebay motor from Japan since their new running condition 40-50k motors with automatic transmission for like $1700 shipped and everything should be plug and play. also planning recondition these hybrid battery cells that is in the $1000 car I buy from doing what this guy did in this youtube video. anyways been trying to contact owner of this youtube video no luck.

https://youtu.be/iVgdN0I_T2U

what all do you think he used for tools?
cellpro powerlab 8

what else a would I need to reconditioned these hybrid battery cells?

Old 06-28-2016, 09:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: things needed to reconditioned 03-05 civic hybrid battery cells

Originally Posted by Tu MadRe
hello I'm on a manhunt to restore a 04-05 civic hybrid sedan, non running $1000 04-05 civic hybrid and planning on buying a ebay motor from Japan since their new running condition 40-50k motors with automatic transmission for like $1700 shipped and everything should be plug and play. also planning recondition these hybrid battery cells that is in the $1000 car I buy from doing what this guy did in this youtube video. anyways been trying to contact owner of this youtube video no luck.

https://youtu.be/iVgdN0I_T2U

what all do you think he used for tools?
cellpro powerlab 8

what else a would I need to reconditioned these hybrid battery cells?
I have attempted to recondition 12 Honda IMA packs. HCH1, HCH2 and Insight. Recondition fails unless sticks are replaced. Out of 9 HCH2 packs, I have been able to build less than 3.

Investigate grid charging. That's probably your best bet if the pack isn't already toast. Hybrid Automotive makes a great unit.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:25 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
I have attempted to recondition 12 Honda IMA packs. HCH1, HCH2 and Insight. Recondition fails unless sticks are replaced. Out of 9 HCH2 packs, I have been able to build less than 3.

Investigate grid charging. That's probably your best bet if the pack isn't already toast. Hybrid Automotive makes a great unit.
hey thanks for the response but I did thought about investing in a grid charger but with wifi. HOWEVER what's the point if you can charged each battery cell and cellpro powerlab 8 looks legit when I like to know what tools he used in this video. I'm also trying to read up on this one insight forum cause I hear those battery cells can work for my hybrid I'm interested in reconditioning
--
to me I don't have $6 to $10 grand laying around to buy an used 03-04 Honda civic hybrid with 40-60k. however I see this being a cheaper route for me to catch the problems in time if i keep up with maintenance. cause I hear if I don't? my car won't last long for st*t after reading up about these hybrids I'm looking into.

there are $1000 03-04 civic hybrids all day on Craigslist

2005 Civic Hybrid! blown trans! - $1000
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv...653716009.html

2004 Honda Civic Hybrid - NEEDS TRANSMISSION - $600
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/5640018800.html

Japan automatic hybrid motor with transmission, $1800 shipped! (There's also like 5 more listings).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-HYBRID-1...xXNNgm&vxp=mtr

now I need your guys help with knowing what tools this guy used in this video to reconditioned my battery cells thank you guys!!

Old 06-29-2016, 10:12 PM

You're not listening.

That post is 4 years old. It's unlikely that his solution lasted more than 3-6 months.

People have built businesses around this process. Most have failed. The ones that haven't failed only provide a 90 day warranty, and they frequently have to do warranty work in that period, or they make the conditions of their process so limiting, it doesn't make financial sense to recondition it (they include 2 replacement sticks, but you need 6 at an added cost of $400 on a $650 job, etc.).

Your expectation that you can recondition a pack and have a lasting repair is wrong. It's possible, but the odds are WAY against you.

Wi-fi? IMHO, don't by a MaxxVolts charger. It's all hype. Hybrid Automotive is the way to go with their reconditioning kit (charger and discharger).

I have 1 HCH1 pack, 1 Insight pack, 7 HCH2 packs and 7 Prius packs within 15 feet of me. I own 2 Honda Insights, 1 HCH2 and 3 Prius. I am trying to tell you that your plan is likely to fail. After you get your hands on a pack and can take some measurements (even while it's still in the car but with the IPU lid off), you can get an idea as to what may work.

When you consider $ vs. bench time, results and ongoing maintenance, testing individual sticks makes almost no sense. If you do stick work, you're likely going to be breaking your pack down every 3-6 months (Lucky if it lasts that long) and repeating the job. Finding quality sticks is a challenge. With a grid charger, maintenance every 3-6 months is as simple as plugging it in for 18-24 hours. Done.

Good luck

Old 06-30-2016, 01:52 AM
Enthusiast

You're not listening.

That post is 4 years old. It's unlikely that his solution lasted more than 3-6 months.

People have built businesses around this process. Most have failed. The ones that haven't failed only provide a 90 day warranty, and they frequently have to do warranty work in that period, or they make the conditions of their process so limiting, it doesn't make financial sense to recondition it (they include 2 replacement sticks, but you need 6 at an added cost of $400 on a $650 job, etc.).

Your expectation that you can recondition a pack and have a lasting repair is wrong. It's possible, but the odds are WAY against you.

Wi-fi? IMHO, don't by a MaxxVolts charger. It's all hype. Hybrid Automotive is the way to go with their reconditioning kit (charger and discharger).

I have 1 HCH1 pack, 1 Insight pack, 7 HCH2 packs and 7 Prius packs within 15 feet of me. I own 2 Honda Insights, 1 HCH2 and 3 Prius. I am trying to tell you that your plan is likely to fail. After you get your hands on a pack and can take some measurements (even while it's still in the car but with the IPU lid off), you can get an idea as to what may work.

When you consider $ vs. bench time, results and ongoing maintenance, testing individual sticks makes almost no sense. If you do stick work, you're likely going to be breaking your pack down every 3-6 months (Lucky if it lasts that long) and repeating the job. Finding quality sticks is a challenge. With a grid charger, maintenance every 3-6 months is as simple as plugging it in for 18-24 hours. Done.

Good luck
okay. I'll stick with what your saying and hybrid automotive instead of maxxvolt, OKAY. but I'm interested in the wifi setup so the grid charger can get alerts and charged on its own is what maxxvolt is offering. I also see an hybrid automotive wifi add ad on option but I contact them on this ebay page that said 8 name and ask for the cost of the entire grid charger with wifi. but where do u replace the sticks at? I don't wanna pay for a brand new refurbished recycle battery of $1500-$2100 and also return my core, aahaaaaa.. where can you buy these sticks? I only see em on ebay for $45 but used. what are my options? grid charger or replaced the battery for a new one?

Old 06-30-2016, 05:37 AM

Now you're getting it.

You don't buy new Honda sticks. They aren't for sale.

You can buy Chinese sticks, but they cost a lot to ship from China, and they don't work great with Honda sticks because of their difference characteristics. They work great when they are all that's in a new pack from Bumblebee.

wifi and that other crap from MaxxVolts does nothing to improve your chances of reconditioning a battery. It's marketing. If you want results, go Hybrid Automotive. Best to contact HA at their website.

It frequently comes down to a question of how many salvage yard packs do you have to buy to get enough good sticks to build a reasonably reliable pack? Two packs usually aren't enough. Also, how much time and money are you going to spend to avoid dropping $2100 on a new Bumblebee battery?

Old 06-30-2016, 12:35 PM
Enthusiast

Now you're getting it.

You don't buy new Honda sticks. They aren't for sale.

You can buy Chinese sticks, but they cost a lot to ship from China, and they don't work great with Honda sticks because of their difference characteristics. They work great when they are all that's in a new pack from Bumblebee.

wifi and that other crap from MaxxVolts does nothing to improve your chances of reconditioning a battery. It's marketing. If you want results, go Hybrid Automotive. Best to contact HA at their website.

It frequently comes down to a question of how many salvage yard packs do you have to buy to get enough good sticks to build a reasonably reliable pack? Two packs usually aren't enough. Also, how much time and money are you going to spend to avoid dropping $2100 on a new Bumblebee battery?
****n.. to save the troubles sounds like I might just buy a battery now but also have 5050 when I buy a hybrid to come across a good battery pack . thank you so much man!!!

Old 07-01-2016, 12:53 AM
Enthusiast

well I've been thinking of replacing the battery instead of buying a grid charger to save money cause either way it be good to have it when needed but I rather take my chances of buying a new hybrid battery. however idk if I even want to purchased an 8amp when I still don't know the difference after seeing these batteries for sale on this one website RANDOMLY 1dAy. ONE said 6amp, the other said 8amp. I don't know the difference but i do plan on putting a niice sound system of 2 ten inch lovely sub woofers from soundqubed.com and I like to try a pair out & along with a matching soundqubed mono amp since the cab speakers will also match the 4 channel amp. however I plan on buying $200 upgraded battery under the hood but the one for stereos so I won't drain my battery or not even trying install an aftermarket alternator. I just wanna rebuild a reliable hybrid

what's the new technology from bumble bee has in there batteries ?
I just may settle for the cheapest battery w/ 3 year warranty I can find (or any kind of warranty but honest trust worthy reliable) but I wanna do business with a good company. I WISH could avoid core exchanges were I don't got to pay extra out of pocket. please let me know what are the good brands with the cheapest price online (it be lovely to pay for no core charge). thank you

Old 07-01-2016, 06:17 AM

All packs that come with new sticks all use the same 1-2 manufacturers in China.

What separates them is their incoming quality process and customer support.

If you want the best value, buy a Bumblebee.

He's given me some insights into what he does for incoming quality control, and I'm convinced he produces the best packs. His reputation in the Honda IMA community is impeccable.

Core charges are unavoidable. Without a core, the battery builder loses a case. Lost case means one less pack they can build.

Old 07-01-2016, 12:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tu MadRe
I WISH could avoid core exchanges were I don't got to pay extra out of pocket. please let me know what are the good brands with the cheapest price online (it be lovely to pay for no core charge). thank you
I'm not sure what your issue is. Let's say the battery costs $2000 and there is a $500 core deposit. You order the battery and when it ships they charge $2500 to your credit card. When it comes, you install the new one, return the old one. When they receive it they credit the $500 back to your credit card. Total charge is just the $2000. You would only actually pay the $500 if your credit card bill was due in the middle of this, and even then, it would just be credited back again for the next month. I don't have the paperwork with me for the exact dates, but when I did it there was only about a week between the charge and the credit.

If this is going to be a problem, time the transaction to avoid it.