HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Thinking about buying 03 HCH CVT

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 04:49 PM
Enthusiast
Question Thinking about buying 03 HCH CVT

Hi,

I am in Canada and looking to buy a 03 HCH with CVT 58k miles only for $12,000 CAD I was very discourage after looking at edmunds forums on "2003 Honda Civic Hybrid Transmissions Problems". After going through green hybrid, I learned regular transmission fluid changes are important but how often do you guys changed it? Every 3000 miles like engine oil? Also, learned about EGR valves and that they can go bad Is it safe to say that from regular transmission fluid changes and EGR valve cleaning, the transmission should last a long time?

Also my utimate question is that should I buy this car? I think it's also due for a 60k service soon. What does that entail? Also, does anyone know about government rebates in Canada if I buy a used hybrid from a private owner? What about the states?

Thanks for the help.

Old 07-27-2007, 11:09 PM
Happy Camper Enthusiast
Default Re: Thinking about buying 03 HCH CVT

The HCH I, from what I've seen, has predictable problems with the CVT clutch and with the EGR valve (which has nothing to do with the transmission, see below) that require careful, regular maintenance -- but if they get it, no problems.

If the trans fluid is changed at the recommended interval (I believe it's 30,000 miles, but not sure on that) you'll be fine. Most people having problems were way over the recommended interval. This model of CVT has proven more sensitive than the typical auto trans to needing that fluid change. But if you *do* have a problem with it, Honda is well aware of the cause and has a very standard treatment for it.

Ditto the EGR valve, which is actually an emission control on the engine that has to do with bleeding exhaust gases back into the air/fuel mix entering the engine for more complete combustion/lower emissions. The early HCH I engines had a higher-than-usual rate of them gunking up and sticking. Again, it's a well known problem that is easily diagnosed and fixed were you to run into it. (And, as EGR is emissions gear, it should be warrantied well beyond the regular warranty of the car.)

Before buying the car, I'd have a Honda garage check it and give it a clean bill of health -- but beyond that, I wouldn't worry much.

By the way, the 60k service would entail the same as on every other car on the road: trans fluid flush, filters, oil change, serpentine drive belt, check hoses, brake lines, and brakes -- that kind of stuff.

Good luck with making the choice --
Doug

Old 07-28-2007, 09:42 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

CVT fluid change interval is 30,000 miles. I have done it once, I don't remember the cost, but it was less than $100 at the dealer. I am up for 60k service in the next month or so. As far as I know that's just the CVT fluid and an oil change. I may do radiator service because I live in a hot climate.

As for whether you should buy it or not... I say definitely yes. I love my car, it's a nicely equipped economy car with plenty of spunk when you need it. My lifetime average is 43mpg, and $12,000 canadian sounds like an awesome deal.

In the USA, there are no tax rebates or other incentives for buying a used hybrid car. These are all exclusively for the initial new purchase only. I don't know how canada does it.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:39 AM
Eco Accelerometrist

Originally Posted by helixical
...Also, does anyone know about government rebates in Canada if I buy a used hybrid from a private owner? ...
The federal and provincial government rebates for hybrids apply only to new vehicles. Sorry.

A 2003 HCH with CVT would make me a little cautious especially if you are NOT buying it from a Honda dealership. Throughout most of Canada, Honda does provide warranty extensions for used vehicles exclusively through its dealerships. If that is your situation then I would feel a little bit better in your position.
CVT flushes don't have to occur that frequently. They just have to occur more frequently than the maintenance routine Honda originally had outlined. In Canada especially in driven in our winters, the HCH-1 CVT fluid change should occur no later than every 25,000km.
Also, up to date software is a must since it too is responsible for promoting the long life of some very expensive components in that type of car.

Cheers;

MSantos

Old 07-29-2007, 01:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

I purchased my 2003 HCH in 2005. I received a $1000.00 rebate on my provincial sales tax. The car had 62,000 km on it at purchase. I change the oil every 6000 km and have changed the CVT fluid each summer. Both are very easy to do. My cat. converter went at about 70,000 km. Honda covered it at no cost to me. Good luck with the car.

Old 07-30-2007, 03:47 PM
Vegetarian

The EGR valve, on the Inisght anyway, is pretty easy to clean. The hardest part was getting the bolts to come off. I was having some problems with mine and cleaning it fixed it right up.

Old 07-31-2007, 10:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I have a 03 HCH and had to replace the egr valve. I later learned you can just clean it up and it works fine. I have 62,000 miles on mine and it hasn't had any other problems than that. I've changed the CVT fluid twice since 20,000 miles. Buy it, it's a good car.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:25 AM
Enthusiast

I have an 04 HCH CVT, about 30k, which was "Certified Honda Pre-owned", in other words, a lease car that had been maintained, and was easy to inspect and warranty. I haven't had any problems with the EGR valve, but the transmission needed to be "burnished at the 30k service. See the thread:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=14409

Other than that, which has a straightforward fix, it's beautiful. I consistently get in the low 40's https://www.greenhybrid.com/compare/.../car/4318.html

Old 08-11-2007, 09:34 PM
Tim
Enchanter, Enthusiast

I had 65K miles on my 03 before getting anything remotely like a CVT issue. I did have the fluid changed at 60K, and at 65 was having some hesitation and "thumping" into gear if you hit the gas too quicky. Nothing that a fluid change and EGR issue wouldn't have fixed, but I traded the car (for other reasons). I'd still recommend one - just be prepared to stay on top of those two issues.

Old 08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
Enthusiast

Check out hybridcars.com for information on the CVT issue. I'm taking mine in for service tomorrow. I love my car and when this issue is fixed I'll love it even more 36 to 59 mpg depending on who's driving and under what conditions.

Quick Reply: Thinking about buying 03 HCH CVT

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands