HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Those those with transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Those those with transmission problems

What did you do after transmission was replaced/repaired to keep it up and running. Should I change the fluid more often? drive it lightly? etc. My warranty ran out on my car so I want to keep up on it so there is any problems in the future. Im already at 130k, my next fear is the hybrid battery.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Those those with transmission problems

I think just changing the fluid every 20-30K is about all you can do. be sure to use a shop that doesn't just drain and fill - they need that machine connects to the transmission and ensure all the fluid is replaced.

Old 03-11-2012, 07:43 PM
Active Enthusiast

I already bring my car to Honda for all my service. So I'm hoping all they are doing it right. I'm hoping my trans parts don't fail anymore. Just trying to keep on top of it.

Old 05-10-2012, 04:46 PM
Enthusiast

you can change the tranny fluid yourself, just as easy as doing an oil change.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

change the flid more often and only use the reformulated CVT fluid from Honda. regular auto tranny fluid will lead to continued degeneration.

The 03 Hybrids had a factory software/programming defect. The defect causes the engine to run lean and, over time, this burns up the catalytic converters. Honda has issued a software patch for this, but once the O2 sensors or cats are burned up, they have to be replaced. There was a class action lawsuit filed against Honda, because they would not warranty the replacement of the burned up cats and O2 sensors. The result of the lawsuit was that all owners would get a gift certificate, per se, to be used against the purchase of a new Honda. Big woop. Honda also had a problem with the Hybrid CVT transmissions. They would slip and balk badly (defective start clutches). Honda reformulated the CVT fluid to try and help solve this, but if too much wear had already occurred, then the tranny would quickly exhibit the same symptoms. Again class action lawsuit and again no fix from Honda. See the pattern? I could go on with the battery packs, etc, but you get the drift.....