HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Thoughts on buying an 03 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 05:53 AM
swd
Enthusiast
Default Thoughts on buying an 03 HCH

Greetings,

I may have an opportunity to purchase an '03 Civic Hybrid with only 54k, from a private seller. I guess the owner travels for business frequently and only used it to drive to work every other day.

I'm still unsure if I want it or not. The seller hasn't communicated with me very well, and he's selling it for his aunt. Plus, I don't think I really like the color or body style, from pictures it looks too closely to my 02 Kia Spectra (with 172k, I'm pretty due for a new car). But you can't argue with the great MPG.

My big concern is the battery. Is it more age, use, or lack of use (or combination of) that affects the battery, and when might I expect to need it replaced? Are the aftermarket batteries just as good, better, or not recommended?

Any additional information is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:10 AM
Default Re: Thoughts on buying an 03 HCH

How much do they want? Is it a 5 speed or the CVT?

My 2003 HCH recently turned 250,000 miles. I still have the original IMA battery which is throwing codes (P1600 and P1449) but has been for more than 75,000 miles and I still get over 50 MPG with little effort.

Major repairs have included two catalytic converters, the first covered under warranty and the second I was recently reimbursed $1100 by Honda for, a primary oxygen sensor which apparently shorted and took out the ECU (as per dealer, cost - $1300) and a bearing/seal kit for my manual transmission due to a bad input shaft bearing ($800). Other than that I replaced the struts at about 175,000 miles and routine stuff (tires, oil) as needed. I have never had a single engine problem.

Over all I believe this is the best car I have ever owned, and since I am in a position where I get reimbursed for the majority of my mileage it has also been a very good investment.

When I finally give up this car I would purchase another well maintained Gen1 (2003-2005) HCH with low mileage in a heartbeat.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 AM
swd
Enthusiast

$8k, automatic.

Thanks for your insight (pun semi-intended).

I still have no idea what is going on. The seller (who is not the owner) first wanted to sell to a dealership, then came back to say it was available again, but hasn't really gone out of his way to actually get me in the vehicle. He's had my number but hasn't called and hasn't offered his number.

I've heard the used car market is pretty tight, so I may end up continuing to save to pay cash for another vehicle.

Old 11-29-2011, 08:52 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by swd
$8k, automatic.
The seller (who is not the owner) first wanted to sell to a dealership, then came back to say it was available again, but hasn't really gone out of his way to actually get me in the vehicle.
My guess is that the dealership won't give him anywhere NEAR 8K for the car. I don't care what Kelley Blue Book says the car is worth, it's a civic that's almost ten years old. I think the reason he's in no hurry to put you in the car is because he's selling it on behalf of his aunt, so he probably has nothing to gain from a expeditious sale.

I noticed you asked was a question about the battery. The vibe I got from you was a question about "the battery" as if there's only one giant battery that does it all. Not the case in the HCH.

There are two separate battery systems:

First, there is the IMA (Integrated Motor Assist) battery which is responsible for the "hybrid" feature of the car. It provides power to the electric assist motor when accelerating and it absorbs electricity from the regenerative braking during deceleration. It is located behind the rear seat between the seat back and the trunk wall.
Second, there is a standard 12 volt car battery located in the engine compartment that handles basic car duties such as powering the lights, fan and the radio when the key is in the "ON" position as well as running the starter when you turn the key to "START".

You can expect to have to replace the standard 12-volt battery as you would on ANY car...say every 5 to 7 years for 50-150 bucks.

The IMA battery should never require replacement. I say SHOULD but there are some reported cases out there in the wild where owners are getting warning lights on the dash about the IMA battery. In the event it requires replacement, you're probably best off selling the car and using the cash to buy a different car as the replacement IMA battery is over $3,000.

If it were me, I would show up with $5,000 cash and my argument would go like this:

"Look, it's a civic so it has inherent value as a reliable car. However, these early civics suffered from issues with the transmission start clutch, faulty O2 sensors, a design flaw regarding the catalytic converter that was never really solved, and random issues with the IMA battery system. Each of these items were the result of conditions that had nothing to do with the mileage on the car. To own this car is a roll of the dice for me. Some of them have run reliably their whole lives, and some of them never made it to 70,000 miles. With this car, I get no warranty. To make me feel secure about this sale, I would like to think that what I'm willing to pay, which is $3,000 less than you are asking, is the $3,000 I may need to keep this car running."

Good luck! It really is a fun car to own. If you can get that car for 5,000 I believe you got a good deal. Anything more and you paid too much, IMHO.

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Active Enthusiast

Im new the HCH (was given a 05) but IMHO 8k is a little steep.....so far I love this car, its taking some getting used to as my other ride is a F150....as for MPG so far the best I can do is 42....good luck

Old 12-03-2011, 11:00 AM
swd
Enthusiast

Thanks for the thoughts. Seller is just too much of a flake for me to want to even try to deal with him. He actually re-listed the car, after inviting me to check it out after Thanksgiving, he never followed through. He should've checked his email, he had my number. Not worth my time. Oh well. Maybe I'll push my Kia through one more winter.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Enthusiast

I think you dodged a bullet with this one. [thumbup]