HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Tires for 2003 HCH

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 10:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Tires for 2003 HCH

So it is time to get new tires on my HCH. The tread wear is a bit low on each tire, and two of the tires have some leakage etc. Long story...

Anyway, I currently have Goodyear Regatta 2s on my car. I'd like some recommendations on what tires to get to replace them. Price isn't really an issue, so I'd like to get some that have decent fuel economy if anyone has experience with such a tire.

Old 03-15-2012, 09:34 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tires for 2003 HCH

I recently put Michelin Hydro-edge tires on my 2003 HCH. They replaced the Bridgestone Insignia - the worst tire EVER!

I'm really happy with the Hydro-Edge. Long tread life (90k miles - the highest of any passenger car tire). Handles great, but does have above average road noise. My mileage dropped a little, but i think that is due to a couple of reasons. 1) Rubber getting harder with age, and the bridgestones were old. 2) I kept the tire pressure higher with the older tires.

I bought them from Costco - the best place ever to buy tires!

Seriously though, Costco had the best price which included the road hazard insurance and life time Balance and rotation. They also fill the tires with nitrogen vs. ambient air, which is arguably better for the tire. I had to special order them, but that did not cost extra.

Old 03-16-2012, 09:02 AM

I've had pretty good luck with the Dunlop SP20 FE. They seem to be a good compromise between fuel efficiency decent traction. I drive them year round and have never been stuck in the snow. And only $65 each at tirerack.com.

From the website blurb:

The Dunlop SP20 FE (Fuel Efficient) steel-belted radial is a Passenger All-Season tire developed for the drivers of small fuel-efficient compact and sub-compact cars. The SP20 FE is designed to emphasize low rolling resistance to enhance vehicle fuel economy while providing all-season traction in dry, wet and wintry conditions, even in occasional light snow.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM
Enthusiast

The 2003 HCH manual mentions on p.290 a "'quality grading" system visible on tires. There are 3 specs: Treadwear (eg 200 means should wear 2 x as well as a tire rated 100), Traction( high to low AA,A,B and C) and Temperature (best to worst, A,B,C = "tire's resistance to the generation of heat and its ability to dissipate heat". These specs are acc. to DOT standards. There is a caveat for "Traction" saying it's "based on straight-ahead breaking traction tests" on "wet pavement" but "does not include acceleration, cornering etc" Hmmm. I looked and I have an assortment of tires. My dealer put on a Hankook with no such "quality" #'s. Don't know if that's good or bad; just know that my tires slip when it's "moist". Next time I want AA for traction.. What are the three T ratings on some of the tires recommended above. I live in PA.

Old 03-21-2012, 09:56 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Neil
I recently put Michelin Hydro-edge tires on my 2003 HCH. They replaced the Bridgestone Insignia - the worst tire EVER!

I'm really happy with the Hydro-Edge. Long tread life (90k miles - the highest of any passenger car tire). Handles great, but does have above average road noise. My mileage dropped a little, but i think that is due to a couple of reasons. 1) Rubber getting harder with age, and the bridgestones were old. 2) I kept the tire pressure higher with the older tires.

I bought them from Costco - the best place ever to buy tires!

Seriously though, Costco had the best price which included the road hazard insurance and life time Balance and rotation. They also fill the tires with nitrogen vs. ambient air, which is arguably better for the tire. I had to special order them, but that did not cost extra.
Sounds great! Why is nitrogen better than air?

Old 03-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Active Enthusiast

I'm Glad you asked! I actually did a little research to see if it made much of a difference when I was buying tires.

Nitrogen is less likely to leak out, so you don't have to check your tire pressure as often. It reacts less with environmental factors (heat&cold) so your tire pressure will be more consistent (does not expand and contract like ambient air). Also it is less likely to contain water vapor - water in tires causes the rubber to rot quicker and can also corrode the wheel.

It is weighs a little less, but that is not really a consideration given the minor amount of weight that you save. Nitrogen also in not combustible which is why they use it for the tires on Jets, but once again, probably not a huge consideration on passenger tire. Most race cars also have nitrogen filled tires for the that reason however.

So, I would not seek out a dealer to specifically have Nitrogen filled tires, but since Costco does it for free it is just one more 'plus' for buying tires there. You also get a really cool green valve stem cover to indicate nitrogen in the tire - bling for the auto enthusiast geek!

Old 03-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Faith
The 2003 HCH manual mentions on p.290 a "'quality grading" system visible on tires. There are 3 specs: Treadwear (eg 200 means should wear 2 x as well as a tire rated 100), Traction( high to low AA,A,B and C) and Temperature (best to worst, A,B,C = "tire's resistance to the generation of heat and its ability to dissipate heat". These specs are acc. to DOT standards. There is a caveat for "Traction" saying it's "based on straight-ahead breaking traction tests" on "wet pavement" but "does not include acceleration, cornering etc" Hmmm. I looked and I have an assortment of tires. My dealer put on a Hankook with no such "quality" #'s. Don't know if that's good or bad; just know that my tires slip when it's "moist". Next time I want AA for traction.. What are the three T ratings on some of the tires recommended above. I live in PA.
My Michelin Hydro-Edge tires have a Treadware rating of 900 (A), Traction of (A) and temperature of (B). The speed rating is (T) or 112mph - plenty of speed for the Civic

I also have a convertible Camaro Z28 which I put (Z) rated tires on - good for speeds 'in excess of 149mph - no top end limit. Overkill, but what do you expect for a gas guzzling muscle car! Completely impractical, but certainly puts a smile on your face when you drive it.

Look closely at the sidewall of your tires - I think it is mandated that the rates are stamped on the tire.