HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

Well this is concerning...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 01:37 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Well this is concerning... ima totally disabled

I started up my car a couple days ago and noticed that it wasn't charging or discharging the battery. Later during that same trip at a stoplight I noticed that my battery light was on the red one, the 12-volt one. Remembering that I had read that Ima doesn't charge the 12-volt unless it's between a certain RPM range I rev the motor up for the duration of the stop light and the battery light went back off.
8 hours later I'm coming home from work the car had returned to behaving what was normal: begin charging at 4amps even while the state of charges at the top, and then soon after begin a recal.
thinking the earlier odd behavior must have been due to the high heat earlier in the day I thought nothing of it other than "ok I guess that bad stick is now really bad, and the good sticks were full so the BCM was thinking it can't charge, but the bad stick is very low so it can't discharge" (and my stopping and starting the car brought the full charged sticks down so it had headroom to charge the whole pack) -- am I on the right track here or?

it happened again earlier today I stopped the car and restarted it and then it stopped acting the fool again, even though it did end up using the backup starter to get going that time. it began charging the ima batt and assisting also.
However the ride home tonight was different. As soon as I start the car right as the IMA light comes on I hear the relay in the battery pack cutting off. The SOC went from. FULL on initial start down to 2/3 on restart, and then down to 3 bars on the third start, and stayed there for the 4th and 5th. Not charging or assisting, and I think the electric steering is disabled too (though I don't have a warning light) the car is also mot using the backup starter yet. But it does appear the pack is staying disconnected from the rest of the system (once ICE is running)
With key just turned to accessory I don't hear the relay close until I key off.

I'll take it to get the codes read tomorrow, but I'm sure you guys have seen this before. what am I most likely looking at? It's been in the 90s outside this week and probably over 100 in the car.

I'm still very hopeful that once I get some good sticks and replace the bad ones in my battery pack that the car will function as it should for at least couple years.

Last edited by dosmastr; 08-03-2017 at 01:44 AM.
Old 08-03-2017, 06:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Well this is concerning...

Weak/failing 12V and/or the tap issue is so severe, the DC-DC may be disabled.