HCH I-Specific Discussions Model Years 2003–2005

What to inspect during Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2017, 10:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: What to inspect during Test Drive

I need to take a step back. My perspective is very skewed due to experiences with the local "The Hybrid Shop" affiliate. They have misdiagnosed pretty big issues, and all they want to do is install a new battery for about the same price if you actually have a failed batter. In one instance, a customer went in with ABS sensor issues but a fully functional HV battery. They indicated he needed a $5400 battery. It didn't.

I've had customers contact me from their parking lot to make arrangements because they were really unhappy with their options and service.

They are also HEAVILY weighted towards Toyota systems.

Generally speaking, "The Hybrid Shop" is GREAT at marketing itself, establishing franchises and raking in big bucks for overpriced hardware that's not particularly effective. Their technical expertise is typically boiled down to generic statements with a lot missing.

Case in point, HCH1 cooling fan... it's capable of moving a massive amount of air. The fan's not the problem... the problem is temperature management. The CAR does not keep the battery cool enough because it doesn't run the fan often enough or high enough. See how they boiled that down? Inadequate cooling = weak fan. Right problem, wrong conclusion.

Savage may be a fine shop otherwise. They may have competent hybrid people, but I wouldn't expect that to be the case.