HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

06 205,000 miles original CVT "GAP" issue

Old 02-07-2018, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Default 06 205,000 miles original CVT "GAP" issue

I have not had any problems with my CVT until lately. When I start it up, it seems to have a "gap" from when I put the car in D or R and when it actually applies any pull to the vehicle. So to explain, I start the car cold, and pull it in gear, and it does nothing. Then I touch the gas pedal, and it will engage the tranny before the rpm's come up. There is no way to get it to smoothly take off. It goes from nothing to grab and almost lunges. So in the morning, I back out of the garage by touching the pedal, and letting off as needed to get the car to back out slowly. Simply putting in reverse with no pressure on gas will not move the car on flat ground.

With this said, it seems to correct the problem after warming up.

Anyone else have this issue?

Any suggestions?

Old 02-07-2018, 08:53 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 205,000 miles original CVT "GAP" issue

Forward and reverse start clutches are "catching" due to low/old fluid and cold temps.

Have you replaced your CVT fluid every 15K miles?

If not, I recommend you do 3 changes on consecutive weekends with Genuine Honda CVT fluid. You should notice an improvement after the first change. 3 changes will purge about 94% of the old fluid out. A single change is only half the fluid.

Most recommend CVT fluid changes every other oil change regardless of the Honda recommendation of 30K.

Old 02-08-2018, 03:52 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 06 205,000 miles original CVT "GAP" issue

Thanks Steve!

I am by far NOT the best maintenance person. But I do change the fluid in the CVT "about" every 30K. I will do a triple swap at the next oil change and see how that turns out. I'm due for some other work too, and may get it all when I get into it.

Thanks again,

Joe

Last edited by abramja; 02-08-2018 at 04:09 AM.