HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

07 HCH II -- Recall #10-034

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2010, 01:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default 07 HCH II -- Recall #10-034

My 2007 HCH II is approaching 36K, so I took it in for my first Honda service appointment today. (I've done Oil Changes with Honda Express Service, but I've never had any substantive problems, so I've never taken it in).

Anyway, thanks to this forum, I wanted to make sure I got the rear control arms TSB update and the front window TSB update. My rear tires have a small amout of cupping and road noise is increasing. The driver's window came out of the track last year one day, but went right back in.

Anyway, there doing the TSB warranty work, no problem. They also told me there's been a computer software recall on the 2007s, so there doing that also. On the work order they wrote, "perform recall #10-034."

I'm a have mixed feeling about this software "update," as I've averaged 50.2 mpg over the first 2 1/2 years . . . I like my computer just the way it is. However, I have read recent comments about people starting to have SoC and recal issues at my vehicle age/mileage . . . so maybe this will help with that.

Does anyone know what this recall is about?

Old 07-27-2010, 02:53 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 07 HCH II -- Recall #10-034

i read on another board that Service Bulletin 10-034 it has to do with a software update the extends battery life and reduces the chances of the check engine light of coming on. Would assume that is what this is referencing.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f145abe

Old 07-27-2010, 09:10 PM
Enthusiast

Got the car back this afternoon. Recall 10-034 consists of six software updates:

1255B2 Update PGM-FI software
1255B2A Update IMA Battery software
1255B2B Update A/T software
1255B2C Update Start Clutch Learning
1255B2D Update CKP Learning
1255B2E Update PCM Idle Learning

It's interesting that it's called a recall. To me that implies there's some element of a safety issue. Wouldn't it mean owners will be getting formal notification (mail, etc.)?

Haven't had enough drive time to notice any changes. I'll update in a few weeks.

Additionally I had the work done under the rear control arms and front window TSBs. Service person said it was $1200 worth of warranty work.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:02 PM
Enthusiast

Got the recall phone call today from American Honda. They say a postcard is coming with the details.

So I guess that answers that question amount notification. Expect a post card in the mail in the next few weeks.

Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Active Enthusiast

Had a voicemail from American Honda Corp. today that owners of 2005-2007 hybrids could expect a mailing in the next few days instructing how to get the IMA software update for free.

Had my IMA battery changed out 2 weeks ago (they did the software upgrade first)

Old 07-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iridium130m
i read on another board that Service Bulletin 10-034 it has to do with a software update the extends battery life and reduces the chances of the check engine light of coming on. Would assume that is what this is referencing.

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f145abe
Holy crap! I had no idea how many other owners have the discharge and recharge issue with low mpg like me!!!!

Wow if the software update really does that then all 2006-2008 owners will get crappy mpg just like me. I don't see how this is a plus?

Old 08-02-2010, 04:54 PM
Active Enthusiast

Got the letter today-I am really not sure I want this update installed..
It seems to be doing all the things "wrong" from the FE point of view- reducing assist, reducing or even disabling autostop time to better protect the battery. Since I am in the CARB state, with a long IMA warranty, why do I need to suffer lame accelerations, reduced autostop and overall worse fuel economy to protect Honda's pockets? It almost start to look like a bait and switch since with every firmware update the car gets further and further away from what I test drove and bought in 2007. It was awesome first, but had the annoying clunk after rolling stops. Had first TSB (8-14) applied, changed cars' behavior, but didn't fix the clunk. A year later had 9-58 applied, clunk is gone, now car has no assist going up the hills. I understand we are a bit of beta testing bunch here, but shouldn't there be limits on how far car's behavior should change from what you bought?

Old 08-03-2010, 04:12 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kpalmal
Had a voicemail from American Honda Corp. today that owners of 2005-2007 hybrids could expect a mailing in the next few days instructing how to get the IMA software update for free.
I just got the same voice message. I guess I will do it - I don't have much to lose. Ours is lucky to see 40 mpg nowadays (mid-30's are the norm), and the frequent battery recals sometimes leave us in dangerous situations with less power than we really need.

According to KBB.com, ours has a trade-in value of around $10,000. I am thinking more and more about just trading it for a non-hybrid. I don't have the energy to fight this battle, even though I think Honda screwed this hybrid thing up. Too bad, 'cause we both really like the Civic and have been long time Honda owners.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:37 AM
F4D
Enthusiast

Just got my mailed notice of the Recall on the software for the battery. I will take it innext Saturday. Our 2006 has started a clunk sound coming from the rear when going over bumps. I will have them check the control arms and hope they cover it because we are past warranty. I'll post the results after driving a few miles when it is done.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Our 2006 has started a clunk sound coming from the rear when going over bumps.
I wouldn't automatically equate that to a rear upper control arm issue. Are you tires wearing ok? I can't see the dealership swapping out suspension parts without smoking gun, ie: uneven tire wear and so on.

I believe I read about someone hearing a clunk towards the rear (not sure...), which turned out to be a loose bit of ballast in the trunk lid. It's in there to ad a bit of weight to the lid.

Quick Reply: 07 HCH II -- Recall #10-034

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands