HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

'07 HCH New Owner Concerns (Driving, Oil, Alarm)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: '07 HCH New Owner Concerns (Driving, Oil, Alarm)

Years ago in the midwest, highways had two signs. One read "Speed Limit 55," the other read "Minimum 40." So even in the dark ages of the 1970s, the law recognized the dangers of disparate speed among vehicles.

Anyway, with a 65 limit today, the bare minimum would be about 50. But I still wouldn't try that on most SoCal highways. Definitely not on I-15 between L.A. and Las Vegas. Other drivers would be swerving and shooting at eachother just to get the first chance to kill you!

Same thing here in Dallas. Those ol' boys in their pickups don't slow down for nobody. And in west TX where the legal speed limit is 80 mph, a hyper miler would wind up as part of a semi's grille. The driver of the rig would pose for pictures at the next truck stop.

My point is that going 20 mph less than everyone else on a highway is simply unsafe. Sure, whoever hits you is legally wrong, but what are you gonna do -- print that on your gravestone?

"It was the other guy's fault ..... besides, I was getting 62.7 mpg when I died!"

Last edited by 1stpik; 06-15-2007 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-15-2007, 04:07 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I believe the minimum speed on LA freeways is posted at 45. Remember that the maximum posted speed for trucks is often 55 around here... so Kenny's 50 is just a hair under what the trucks are doing. Actually, at commute times, you're lucky to be doing 50.

Old 06-16-2007, 10:43 AM
HOV lane commuter

Originally Posted by Anahymbrid
Actually, at commute times, you're lucky to be doing 50.
Except in the carpool lane - thank you, HOV stickers - where going 65+ is the norm.

Old 07-28-2007, 07:01 AM
Enthusiast

I was told to change the oil after 3500 miles then at 3000 after that... not like i have done that yet but whats with all the different stories from all the honda dealers?

Anyway does the computer in the dash go back to 100% when you change the oil? and at what point has everyone been changing the oil?

Old 07-28-2007, 07:40 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

Originally Posted by kay15
I was told to change the oil after 3500 miles then at 3000 after that... not like i have done that yet but whats with all the different stories from all the honda dealers?

Anyway does the computer in the dash go back to 100% when you change the oil? and at what point has everyone been changing the oil?
The change interval for your HCHII is approximately 10K miles. Under normal use the service reminder will show 0% of oil life at about 9200-9800 miles. It is completely safe to round up to 10K for the oil change.

The idea of a 3K oil change is simply a way for your dealer to get more of your money. Remember your Honda dealers primary mission is not in maintaining your best interests, it is to extract as much money from you as they can.

the notion of a 3000 mile oil change has its roots in early automotive history. In the mid last century, mineral motor oil did only have a useful life of 3000 miles and required frequent changes. Folk lore and easy profit motivation perpetuated this to today. However advances have increased the useful life of motor oil significantly, but the myth of frequent oil changes is still with us. This is much the same as the "professional" advice as on the back of your shampoo bottle: "lather, rinse, and lather again".

Many folks still insist on polluting the environment by prematurely changing their oil at 3000 miles. Not only are these folks wasting money, but they are also polluting the environment with excess waste oil. Many will insist that it "feels" right to discard their motor oil unnecessarily, but in-fact this is simply gross and unnecessary pollution.

Resist the fear and do the right thing. change your oil only when it is necessary. And for your car that is at 10,000 miles.

Lastly you must reset your oil life maintenance minder manually. Check your owners manual for the steps involved.

Last edited by Orient Express; 07-28-2007 at 07:46 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 07:52 AM
Enthusiast

Hey,
Thanks for the info

Old 07-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Take time to read your owners manuel, it is very clear what is required, and when too. If you don't under-stand what is required , they will take advantage of you! It also tells you how to reset the maint. minder. Take time to read the book!!! H alot of good stuff in there.