HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

09 Civic Hybrid / VSA

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:57 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 09 Civic Hybrid / VSA

I understand for 2009 the Civic Hybrid will have a tire pressure monitor feature and a Vehicle Stability Assist.

What actually is the Vehicle Stability Assist and does it take away from the MPG. I noticed that the Hybrid MPG from the EPA is down from what
it used to be. I wonder if the VSA may be a contributing factor.

Alster

Old 09-23-2008, 12:33 PM
Über Lord of Hypermillia
Default Re: 09 Civic Hybrid / VSA

VSA is Honda's stability control system. Vehicle Stability Assistance - It works with the ABS on the Civic Hybrid to help keep your car on the road. Simpy put, if your car starts to slide around a curve or if you oversteer, the VSA "kicks in" and the brakes apply to the tire with less traction and the vehicle with more traction gets the additional torque.While my 07 HCHII does not have VSA, all my other cars do have Stability Control. The first time I experienced it, I took a curve too quickly on wet leaves. It fellt like I should have slid off of the road but the VSA engaged and I smoothly finished my turn with only a few inches of lateral slide. Another name for VSA is "The Hand of God", because when the car starts to skid, an invisible "Hand" grabs the car and puts it back in line! I dont think I'd get a car without it!

In 2007 EPA revised the way that they report MPG ratings for cars and trucks that more closely simulates real world driving, hence the lower figures. The new EPA MPG ratings are pretty much in line with what I get on my HCHII without any hypermiling. I can easily beat the EPA numbers when I try.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Energy Independence

Ditto what Gary said!

Also, I think the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring system) was in place for the 2008 Civic Hybrids also.

Old 09-25-2008, 04:36 AM
Enthusiast

Yes, according to my training materials TPMS was new for '08.

Old 09-25-2008, 09:23 AM
Active Enthusiast

Well, thanks for the information. Looks like the tire pressure monitor feature and the vehicle stability control is a plus and who knows,
it may even lower insurance cost.

Alster