HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 08:03 AM
Enthusiast
Default 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Ok, I'm only at 99,850, but that's close enough. It's at the dealer for A14 maint + something else I'll mention later. Here's a lowdown of my vehicle that is now 3 years and 10 months old with 100k on it.

First 3 years - avergaged 48-52 mpg per tank. Good stuff withough too much effort.

Disappointed that two sets of OEM Dunlps ony got about 38k on them. I put on Yokahomas with better treadlife hoping I wouldn't lose too much mpg, but I was wrong. In the last year, I've averaged about 41-43 mpg - ugghh!!!

Small peice of dash next to passenger A-pillar always comes out of place - it's always done it. Someday I'll get around to gluing it in place.

wiper inserts are too much of a pain in the real to replace.

2 recalls performed - no big deal

Put on a used tire once (instead of driving with donut on long commute to work when I blew a tire) and got some crazy CVT/RPM performance. Went away when tire went away. Attributed to diameter mis-match I assume even though it was supposed to be same size - I assume differences in wear could do this.

Finally...

Over the last few months my re-cal of the IMA system (described as a near instant battery dump and forced regen) happens EVERY time I get in the car. It happens within a 1/2 mile of starting up. Even on a long trip it will happen more than once during the drive. Used to happen once every few weeks when new, but it seemed to gradually increase to its current annoying level of multiple times daily. This is being investigated today as well. I have not seen an IMA light come on, so I don't know what they'll do.

I do trust my dealer (going there for many years and know the people well). I also did purchase the extended warranty to fully cover me up through 120,000 miles so a replacement should be covered should they chose to do so - which I expect only as a last resort on their part.

I will start keeping a journal in my car to track mileage/date of each re-cal from now on.

This recal part sucks right now, but I do love the car, and assuming this is correctable, I look fwd to another 100k.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Originally Posted by FamilyMan
Small peice of dash next to passenger A-pillar always comes out of place - it's always done it. Someday I'll get around to gluing it in place.
Is that the piece down at the bottom of the little triangle shaped window. With us: same side, same piece, same problem. I wouldn't glue it though, unless it's just something tacky that can still be pulled up.

Originally Posted by FamilyMan
wiper inserts are too much of a pain in the real to replace..
Totally agree: the 2006 Owners Manual is part of the problem. I see in newer manuals they've revised the instruction and pictures, regarding how to get the wiper off the arm. And that's just the beginning of the fun.

Good luck with your possibly ailing battery, please keep posting and update with your dealership's response.

Old 02-28-2010, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

Family Man,

Please do keep us posted on what your dealership says about your recal problem. My 06 is doing the same thing. Recal almost every day, soon after startup. In fact, the car's starter had to kick in a couple of times since the SOC was totally gone when starting in the morning. Dealership said everything is fine! Sure it is......

Old 03-02-2010, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII - update on IMA

The did four (4) SW updates (TSBs) on the system and told me to see what would happen. If its not better, they told me they would replace the IMA battery.

After 10 recalibrations in a 4-day period, I returned the vehicle this morning. They said that Honda would likely walk them through many diagnostic tests on the battery and would be a real stickler about replacing the battery. But, it is clearly covered by my extended warranty, so it will get done if needed. My only concern is if there is something that is deteriorating the battery that isn't found that will also deteriorate the new battery.

I expect they'll run a bunch of tests, and end up ordering a battery. Not sure how long the wait period will be. I've searched online and found people who got new batteries, but I haven't seen posts regarding how their new battery is performing long-term (i.e. - have the recalibrations stopped?)

More info coming later... wish me luck...

Old 03-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Active Enthusiast

from what I read the software needs time to have an effect on the batery pack. maybe they will want to wait a wee longer just to give the updates a chance to do there thing.

ks

Old 03-03-2010, 06:27 AM
Enthusiast

The technician drove the car twice on Tuesay - about 25 miles each time and did not experience a "recal". What bothers me is that I really had to explain OVER AND OVER what the recal was. He claimed to see the SoC go up and down some, but not in the dramatic fashion I described.

I recommended he drive the car the next morning when he comes in. For me, the recal always happens within a mile of my house when I leave to go to work, and when I leave work to go home.

If it's true that the SW upgrades need time to take effect on the battery, it sure does have a long way to go. Can anyone direct me to this documentation? Thanks.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:37 AM
Active Enthusiast

Check the HCH posts at CleanMPG cause that's where I think I read bout it.

ks

Old 03-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Since you can consistantly reproduce it, I would try to take video of it and show them. It's kinda a pain, but without some sort of proof, you're just another flaky hybrid owner who is trying to milk the system for a free battery (in their eyes of course, not ours )

To me, it sounds like something is "on" all the time, and when you leave it sit, it's draining the battery. I'm guessing that you haven't done anything to the car (LED lights, heated seats, etc) so I don't know what it could be. Total internet speculation here, but I don't think that a new battery is going to fix your problem long term.

For other less consistant recal problems like I was having before, I suspect the problem is due to a few bad cells that don't have the same charge/discharge rate as the others in the pack which causes them to become out of synch. I'm still not sure if my problem went away due to TSB-058 or due to my new commute which uses the battery and engine a lot harder.

Good luck with Honda!

Old 03-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Enthusiast

Dealer called and said they still couldn't duplicate problem - I had a feeling though after much description over and over, they didn't know what to look for. And they said Honda told them that the phenomenon is normal and that it could be increased due to the cold weather, and that their hands are tied unless the IMA light (or some error code?) comes on.

So, since it was a beautiful, sunny, 65 degrees here this afternoon. I went to the dealer and took the service advisor for a ride, and got to show him a recal after about 3-5 miles of driving.

*AGAIN* I explained that I understand this is an expected phenomenon that occurs periodically, but that it shouldn't be occurring multiple times daily.

I'm getting new tires put on while it's there. But I expect to pick the car up in the morning and begin continuing to log the recals.

I'm also going to search for someone else to elevate this to. I'm tired of answering the same questions at dealership over and over again. Questions like, "has this ever happened before?" "does it re-charge after it crashes?" ughhh, I shouldn't have to explain over and over. At least they got to see it with their own eyes.

If anyone has a contact number at Honda corporate to discuss this with I would love to try.

Old 03-03-2010, 06:22 PM
Witch w/ sense of humor

My old 2003 HCH made it to 145k miles before the batteries were totally shot. The AC and catalytic converter bit the dust at the same time. Alas. But then, mine was a very early hybrid. A 2006 HCH had a lot of refinements and improvements.

Quick Reply: 100,000 mile report - 2006 HCHII

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands