HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default 10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

Well, it's finally cooling off here in the desert so I am not sure how much this aided the past two mornings. Wed I left a bit early for work so I stayed in the far right lane and went 55mph instead of the 65mph that I normally do. The avg mpg went from it's typical 44-46 to 55mpgs. I am going to try and duplicate this on my next tank of gas since I have only a half tank now. I was amazed at how much the mpgs went up with only a difference of 400 rpms.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:25 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

It IS a huge difference going 10mph slower. You'll notice even a bigger swing (the other way) going 10mph faster at 75mph. It's really a shame that traffic conditions and real world factors don't allow us to always slow down and smell the higher mpg .

Old 10-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Über Lord of Hypermillia

It is almost impossible to find a freeway here in the Bay area to drive at 55 mph, even in the far right lane. But you are right, I can pick up a 20% improvement in fuel economy by slowing to 55. But in the long run, the economics vs time vs road rage quotient precludes me from driving slower than 60 - 65 on the freeways.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:51 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kristian
It IS a huge difference going 10mph slower. You'll notice even a bigger swing (the other way) going 10mph faster at 75mph. It's really a shame that traffic conditions and real world factors don't allow us to always slow down and smell the higher mpg .
I definitely saw this as this past summer I was usually going between 75 and 80 with the ac blasting. I plan on topping off (always do) the tank Sunday and will see how many gallons I use for the week. I will see what the true mpg is at the end of the week.

I don't know how people can do this on a daily basis. It's defintely hard.

Old 10-30-2009, 12:32 PM

I've had similar experience in short suburban trips. If I'm going a block at the most, say to some corner, from a standing start, instead of running up to the 50km/hr posted limit, as long as nobody's on my butt I'll just get up to around 40, and then coast to the corner. You get there all of 10 seconds later, and get your fuel economy back in the good zone much sooner.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Hey guys, I cannot drive this slow in Toronto. The speed limit here is 100km/hr and I drive at that or more like 110-120km/hr. Mileage is 36MPG. Not great but driving to get 45-50MPG is too stressful for me. Also slow acceleration is not desireable. I just drive the car normally according to road conditions and traffic flow. Please note I am not a speeder and do not drive aggressively but mileage still sucks.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:17 PM

The speed limit is 100 km/hr, you're going 110-120, but you're not speeding?

And if someone in front of you is going 100 km/hr, how do you react?

Old 12-24-2009, 12:22 PM
Pale Driver

Originally Posted by linx3566
Hey guys, I cannot drive this slow in Toronto. The speed limit here is 100km/hr and I drive at that or more like 110-120km/hr. Mileage is 36MPG. Not great but driving to get 45-50MPG is too stressful for me. Also slow acceleration is not desireable. I just drive the car normally according to road conditions and traffic flow. Please note I am not a speeder and do not drive aggressively but mileage still sucks.
If driving to get better mileage is too stressfull for you, then accept the mileage you get. Imagine what you'd get in a non-hybrid.

Old 12-24-2009, 12:39 PM

There is a minimum speed you can travel on most freeways so if your at that or slightly above why worry what everyone else is doing? Here in my area the minimum is 45 mph or about 70 KPH on freeways. So slow down and enjoy yourself and stop bing a follower! Run with your flashers on if your worried about someone running into your tail. Cheers, Hal

Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Hybrid Eer
If driving to get better mileage is too stressfull for you, then accept the mileage you get. Imagine what you'd get in a non-hybrid.
Agreed...It is still more FE than my previous ride. Merry Xmas

Quick Reply: 10mph slower "shows" a huge difference

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands