HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

12V battery and IMA not charging

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 06:01 AM
Enthusiast
Default 12V battery and IMA not charging

Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated!
Civic Hybrid 2006. Had P0A7F error, car drived with autostop, some IMA charging (from 2 to 8), tried to get IMA battery repair, it was dissassembled, then reassembled, but after that both 12V battery sign and IMA light are constantly on. Old error gone, new one is P1570.

The car drives, audio works, but no autostop and no charging at all of both IMA and 12V battery. It is becoming increasingly heavy to drive. Tried to power reset by taking off - terminal for a minute, reset fuses, etc. No changes. Swapped 12V battery - no use. It shows now 11V.

How could a simple disassembly of IMA battery lead to such results, no idea. Please help what should I do. Should I do power reset for 20 minuts? Change DC-DC converter? Does anyone has a link to right model of converter?

Last edited by StoneJack; 04-20-2016 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:20 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V battery and IMA not charging

It was assembled incorrectly (broken/loose bolt, stick in backwards) and/or one of the sensing wire terminals is broken.

Check the 11 tap voltages at this connector before you remove the battery. If one or more are 0, then you have a broken wire, or somebody managed to get a pair in backwards or something:

Old 04-20-2016, 07:02 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by S Keith
It was assembled incorrectly (broken/loose bolt, stick in backwards) and/or one of the sensing wire terminals is broken.

Check the 11 tap voltages at this connector before you remove the battery. If one or more are 0, then you have a broken wire, or somebody managed to get a pair in backwards or something:

Dear Keith, thanks a lot for great advice! I will definitely take it to the shop and get it assembled correctly. I think you are absolutely right and I will report back in few days

Old 04-20-2016, 08:11 AM

If this "shop" did a recondition or something else, you should be very wary. The availability of reliable sticks for reconditioning is almost nil. I have been unable to build two good packs out of SIX.

I vigorously recommend you check those voltage taps before taking it to the shop. If there is more than 0.2V discrepancy between the highest and the lowest, the pack is going to fail sooner rather than later.

Steve

Old 04-20-2016, 08:50 AM
Enthusiast

Well, there is discrepancy of 1 and 2nd with others, they have 16.00V, while the rest have 16.2 or 16.4. The shop promised to charge two bad pairs and they did show me live data of charging sticks where the first two pairs had lower voltage

Old 04-20-2016, 08:55 AM

Well, in that case, they may have. The primary failure mode of old sticks is excessive self-discharge of one or more cells. They won't hold a charge. It's very possible they did what they said. Are you absolutely certain you measured 11 total voltages?

0.4V is typically not enough to trip P1570 or cause 12V to fail to charge.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast

Well, in that case, they may have. The primary failure mode of old sticks is excessive self-discharge of one or more cells. They won't hold a charge. It's very possible they did what they said. Are you absolutely certain you measured 11 total voltages?

0.4V is typically not enough to trip P1570 or cause 12V to fail to charge.
Yes, I saw all readings on tablet (they used an app) to show live info from cells with engine working. I also got a printed readings from the 11 sticks and there was similar discrepancy. In my case, IMA would only light sometimes after heavy load, I assume, otherwise battery charged and autostop worked. However, after finding the worsened 1st and 2nd sticks I wanted to have them charged, however, I was asked to come on other day and battery was reassembled, thats where assembly went wrong. I only hope that nothing was broken during the mistaken assembly

Old 04-20-2016, 09:38 AM

I would love to know what that tool is. Can you scan and attach that printout?

The charging was likely ineffective. I'm surprised the shop agreed to it. Once they go out of balance, they're pretty much done.

The fact that you have 11 voltages reduces the chances that the pack is assembled incorrectly unless one is literally flipped around - but that's supremely hard to do, and they didn't need to break it down that much just to charge a subpack - unless they went to the individual stick level.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 04-20-2016, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

I would love to know what that tool is. Can you scan and attach that printout?

The charging was likely ineffective. I'm surprised the shop agreed to it. Once they go out of balance, they're pretty much done.

The fact that you have 11 voltages reduces the chances that the pack is assembled incorrectly unless one is literally flipped around - but that's supremely hard to do, and they didn't need to break it down that much just to charge a subpack - unless they went to the individual stick level.

Good luck,

Steve
I am sorry for being unclear. Keith, the readings were before the re-assembly, I remember that after assembly they all tested for 15V which I found strange at that time, but did not think much and drove away, only to realize later that something was wrong (stupid me!). The shop wanted to charge the sticks but their equipment malfunctioned so I was asked to come other day. Their app used for reading live info from cells was for Android tablet and was linked with large OBD reader by cable. They put the reader into car and were scanning live cells voltage info on the Android tablet.

The printout tool looked like a mobile payment device or credit card reader, I will scan the printout and put here. I got it at a different hybrid repair shop, which sadly, could not do anything just scan.

Last edited by StoneJack; 04-20-2016 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-20-2016, 06:44 PM

Whatever the tool, I'm very interested. I know of no android based solution that enables reading of the hybrid data.

I suspect it may have been a Windows tablet connected with HDS.

Quick Reply: 12V battery and IMA not charging

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands