HCH II-Specific Discussions Model Years 2006-2011

12V Battery Replacement Detailed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: 12V Battery Replacement Detailed

I know the 12v powers the radio, fan, windows, etc, but the most important thing it does it power the brain that controls all these things. Lose it and you will see how helpless you are.
GL

Old 03-28-2012, 04:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

Thanks GordonLightfoot! You saved me $70 on my battery today!

The best price I could find on a 51r today was Costco. $64.99 plus tax.

Old 03-31-2012, 11:07 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GordonLightfoot
I also submit this tale as a warning that if your 12v battery is 4 or 5 years old, you better get a new one asap. There was no warning at all that it was weak. And remember, do not put your HCH in Park if the battery is weak or dead, it can strand you helplessly.
GL
There is a shift interlock release switch on the center console, up and to the right of the shifter. There probably is a tiny cover you have to wedge off first (my 07 never had a cover, bought it used). Just stick your key (or really any long object that fits in there) and it will mechanically allow the shifter out of Park. As a safety feature, for situations like you described, I'm pretty sure all automatic transmission cars are req'd to have manual override for interlock.

Also, as long as your IMA SOC is decent, the computer just needs a tiny bit of power to send the "Start" command to the system. The IMA pack should always have plenty of power to get the engine running (so long as the SOC isn't so low that it wants to do a 12V start).

Old 04-05-2012, 08:13 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GordonLightfoot
The Honda replacement battery #151R is puny and costs $159. I instead bought an Interstate Megatron II #MT-51R for $95. OEM is 335 cca, Interstate is 500 cca.
THe case size is bigger, but it will fit in the HCH space fine, but the plastic tray has to go.
See the pictures attached to get an idea of how much bigger it is, and how it fits. I highly recommend this bigger battery.
I also submit this tale as a warning that if your 12v battery is 4 or 5 years old, you better get a new one asap. There was no warning at all that it was weak. And remember, do not put your HCH in Park if the battery is weak or dead, it can strand you helplessly.
GL
I also just installed the same Interstate Battery 4/4/2012. HOnda wanted 136.00. I went to Firestone Auto Complete. Their web site has a coupon for interstate batteries for 79.99 installed. Make sure before the rign you up that the coupon state "installed." I did advice the auto tech that they have to take the plastic tray out. For some reason I didn't have to set up my radio again with the OEM code. Thanks.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:54 PM
Enthusiast

On the note of the use of the 12V battery..

I noticed that when I haven't started my HCH2 for a while (3+days), then it will "crank" to start like a normal car does. If the IMA has some charge and it hasn't been sitting too long, it will start without cranking. Is this the IMA battery starting the car?

Old 04-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Enthusiast

Do you guys know that DIY 12v battery replacement with interstate or any other battery void my IMA battery pack warranty?

Also, I went to Firestone to ask them to replace the battery, two store told me to take it to the dealership.

Is there any detailed instruction on how to do this?

Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 05:39 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by shouyi
Do you guys know that DIY 12v battery replacement with interstate or any other battery void my IMA battery pack warranty?

Also, I went to Firestone to ask them to replace the battery, two store told me to take it to the dealership.

Is there any detailed instruction on how to do this?

Thanks
What am i missing? It's a battery. I've replaced mine once and disconnected it several times and killed it dead a few time. So many times I've memorized my radio code.

I've been running a $39 lawn mower battery for over a year. With no problems.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM
Enthusiast

A battery that is going out can still show 12+ VDC, you should have your battery load tested to find out it's true condition. In California we have Autozone and Kragen / Oreilly stores that will test your battery for free. One quick note:Even a battery with a dead cell may show that it is ok on a volt meter!

Old 01-20-2016, 11:43 AM
Enthusiast

+1 to this old thread. I didnt realize I had such a dead 12 volt battery until it died in the winter at Ikea parking lot! Basically, yes you have 160V IMA battery that wont work if the 12v is dead and it doesnt take much. Replace your 12v at least every 5 years, more if you are in hot climates.
I replaced it as recommended with the Costco brand 51r that is designed for non-hybrid Civic and it worked great. My IMA battery started to reach end of life and even required the 12v to start the car a few times towards the end and had no issues. I have a 2A/4A smart charger to maintain the 12V every few months. Especially in winter when its cold at night its good to top it off as short trips with heat, defrost, rear defrost, lights etc, all tax the 12V more than normal.

Hope this helps someone with a 2006-2011 Civic Hybrid.

Old 01-20-2016, 12:30 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I've never noticed this thread, but I've blabbered about the need to maintain the 12V in a healthy state in other threads on GH.

I vigorously repeat the recommendation for upgrading to a 51R from the puny 151R.

Here in AZ, we're lucky to get batteries to last more than 2-3 years.

Quick Reply: 12V Battery Replacement Detailed

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands